View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:36 AM   #18
JakeTPegg

Thanks again all forviewing and the time taken to comment
Quote:
Any chance you could share the camera, lense and settings used when you post. It could really help us poor souls who don't have a clue.

Golfer, I'm using a Canon 20D with a 100-400 lens, as for the settings, I tend to set the camera on Aperture Priority most of the time, at the widest, and then iso 400 in less light, 200 at better, [once at 1600 for an owl shot thatcame out [ok?] unless I've found a bird that just NEEDS to be capturedin flight, then Iwill up it to 400 again, even in good light. This advise wasgiven to me bythe marketing manager of Canon SA when I complained to him about the apparant softness of my pics, and it has worked out well so far [although the softness issue is really more of learning to post-process correctly as is Canon's policy of giving the photographer more control of the pic after it's shot than to let the camera do the work. This has been {still is}a HUGE learningcurve for me]

I have been trying a bit of reducing theaperture to f8.0 to get sharper pics [as I'm learning from the guys here]. Mostly, I'mstill in toddler stage of learning to get up from crawling, and occassionally taking a step or two, but havinggreat fun doing so.

Incidently, I have just finished reading a book by a pro wildlife photographer, Darrel Balfour, and I noticed he also recommends settingyour camera to Av mode to anticipate any action, then adjust the settings laterif time permits.[oh, he also recommends having two or three camera bodies with different lenses, one super zoom, one medium and one wide angle, he also uses a 600 prime and..and..]

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote