View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:48 AM   #8
websnail

tcool93 wrote:
Quote:
Some of the prices they are getting for the auction cd trays are just completly insane. I've seen them selling for $70, many times now.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Canon employees are the ones selling them, knowing that they have control over the market. Limit the supply, and jack up prices. It would give them the motivation not to sell them to people directly.

Somewhere I read that Epson holds the patent to cd printing, but if thats true, I find it hard to believe Canon can't find a way around that. Why isn't Canon sued then for selling the trays in other countries? It doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure Canon has lost tons of sales in the U.S. because they don't include the cd print tray.

You've got to remember that the patent has been issued in the USA and not for the rest of the world. The US is just a nightmare when it comes to patents with the patent office letting companies get away with murder, possibly in the hope that they'll end up with everything made by Americans.. *sigh*.

Either way, it's not something that other countries have to adhere to or accept so the US consumer ends up suffering.

As for the conspiracy theory, could be right, could be wrong but I know that there's a lot of people buying up refurb'd units or even new units and then splitting up the parts to sell seperately at over inflated prices.. eg: printhead for £50+, carts as sealed originals, CD tray and then the printer with the small print noting the lack of the spare parts... Net result is a lot of people are getting their fingers burned, but the sellers are raking it in.

It sucks but life is rarely fair :sad:
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote