Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:28 PM   #1

Just a newbie question prob.. I have a digital rebel xt. I am wanting to start shooting with the fish eye lens at parties and events.. I have been on ebay and seen a whole bunch of lenses and fisheye attachments ranging from 50.00 to 300.00 $$ I was just wondering if one brand is better than the next. There are two many to choose from and all of them claim they are the best..

kwkshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:32 PM   #2

Some fisheyes are really not "fisheyes". Instead, they are uncorrected wide angle lenses (i.e., allowing barrel distortion to occur). Most good front mounting fisheye converters are expensive, ranging from $200 to $300+, and some of them may not have good build quality. Moreover, there are two types of fisheye lenses, full-frame and circular. Most expensive fisheye lenses are capable of projecting a circular image to your SLR lens. When the SLR lens zooms in to some degree, a full-frame fisheye image can be obtained, although in some combination your camera may not able to focus. The Nikon FC-E8 is a very good but rather expensive lens. It has a 46mm thread. Since this thread size is small, you may need step-down rings. To get a circular image, you camera lens must have a focal length of less than 24mm. Otherwise, you will get a clipped circular image. A prime lens is highly recommanded. See the Fisheye page of my Panasonic FZ-30 user guide for more spec detains of the Nikon FC-E8. Raynox also has a circular fisheye lens; but, I did not have experience in using it and hence no comment.

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10/FZ-30, and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the help... I will prob just wait and spent the cash...

kwkshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:14 AM   #4

I picked up one of those fisheye adapters for my cam off ebay.
a cheap one, ive seen it from $30-$65 on there, i got it for $35.

Its.. ok

is it worth the $35, sure! i think so,i use it alot

I do notice that you lose some image quality, ecspecially around the edges.
My camera ( Kodak DX6490 dosent have the greatest image quality to start with, so mabey on a rebel it would be less noticable..)

If its just to mess around try a cheap one,

if its for more professional stuff, id go for something a lil more expensive.

osirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:54 AM   #5

i agree, I had a "wide" converter when i had my fuji S5500 (same ebay front mount ones) and sure, it widened a little and even gave a fun fisheye distortion, BUT the edges were so blurry that its useless! Its not a real fisheye, but a CONVERTER that simply distorts the image to 'look' like a fisheye.

There are still cheap fisheyes LENSES out there, for DSLRs. Most notably are the Russian made Zenitar and Peleng lenses. I have bought my Zenitar for $150USD for my Pentax K100D now (and still waiting), but if you have a read at the Pentax dlsr forums the Zenitar is quite highly rated. The Peleng is a bit more expensive at around $300USD, but is a true 180 degree 8mm lens. and both of these are manual focus.

sho33y is offline   Reply With Quote