Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:17 AM   #11

No problem with focus on my S3 with the Lensmate adapter and TCON-17. I set my camera to Macro. ...Grix

grix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:10 PM   #12

With a Tcon17 on my FZ50, I too found that it would not focus as close as it seemed that it should with auto focus, but it will focus closer with manual focus. However, with the focus switch set to macro, both the auto focus and manual focus give the same close range.
orlinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 4:30 PM   #13

The most likely problem is that the focusing distance, the distance from the subjectto the camera, is too short. Keep in mind that the focusing distance is proportional to the square of the lens power (i.e., 1.7^2 = 2.89). Thus, if the focusing distance is 10 yards without the 1.7X, adding the 1.7X could push the focusing distance to 29 yard, although the actual number depends on the design of your camera lens. Given this fact, shooting a very close subject with a teleconverter is usually not a good idea and would most likely give you "AF failure" problem. Please see my Panasonic FZ-30 user guide for more details. Although my site is for the Panasonic FZ-30, the use of teleconverter is basically camera independent. Additionally, the use of macro mode can help.

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10/FZ-30 and Canon A95 User Guides
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:00 AM   #14

jedcrocker wrote:

I just picked up an Olympus Tcon 17 telephoto adapter (1.7x) for my Canon S3is. I've seen many sample shots from this combo so I know they are compatible.

The converter is attached to a 52mm Lensmates adapter tube with a 52-55mm step up ring. I assume this is how many other users of this combo set it up.

My problem is that the camera will not focus beyond the mid point of the zoom range with the tcon 17 attached. I've tried with and without the camera menu teleconverter setting on, macro, super macro, manual focus, etc. It won't even come close to focusing.

Just looking through the tcon, everything looks sharp and clear. Without the tcon, the camera focuses beautifully.

I thought I'd heard some time ago about a bad batch of tcon 17's.........

Anyone else have experience with this camera and teleconverter combo?

Any help is appreciated.

This is a known production problem with TCON17s; I recently had one exchanged by Olympus for my customer. I am assuming you know what you are doing about focal range etc. Set up a sight with test examples call up Olympus in NY and arrange to have the lens returned.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:29 AM   #15

I agree with the third paragraph especially. I foolishly bought some Digital Optics conversion lenses (0.5X WA with Macor& 2X TC) and the TC does not focus right at all. The Macro and WA work reasonably well but I hope to compare it to something else. I am looking for the OLY TC 1.7. Has anyone heard or used the OLY B28 Wide Angle and the OLY MCON Macro?

Snapcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:22 PM   #16

The OLY T-CON works like a champ on my KODAKS with the KODAK lens adapter.

sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote