Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:51 PM   #1

Having read through multiple threads i decided i need to just ask,

I'm looking for a 58mm polarizing filter for my Sony H5.. It therefore needs to be double threaded....

Have seen the suggestions of Hoya (their Pro 1 Digital CPL seems a possibility) and possibly Hama... What others are around, would you suggest?

I'm specifically looking for buying advice, pro's, cons of the brand...

I'm willing to save for more exspensive if its worth it. I'm new to this and don't want to end up making a purchase i later regret!

waffles&syrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:04 AM   #2

Another very good brand is the Heliopan. They are made in Germany and made out of brass as opposed to aluminum. Brass is a lot more durable than aluminum. To the best of my knowledge the Hoya Pro line is a very good filter. I bought two Heliopan filters, their Linear Polarizer and their UV filter. I leave the UV on all the time for protection so I wanted one of the best so as not to degrade any photos I take. I will also be using the camera outdoors a lot so I wanted a good polarizer. I don't think I will spend the extra money for Heliopan filters I may buy later as I think the Hoya Pro are very good filters. You will want to make sure you always get very thin filters so as to keep everything as close to the lens as possible. I'm no expert but I did do a lot of reading before I bought my filters. I hope this helps. Maybe some others will jump in here and add some more information for you.

mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:49 PM   #3

With filters, you get what you pay for. More desirable features like optical-quality glass, brass threads, low-profile design and multicoating all cost more. Here again, only you can decide if a $130.00 polarizer is really worth the difference over a good $50.00 one. Unless you like to print really big and are going for pro-level sharpness, contrast and saturation, you probably don't need the $130.00 filter. But you should at least buy coated filters. They reduce ghosting and internal reflections so that you get better color, shapness and contrast.

In addition to the brands mentioned, B+W, Nikon, Singh-Ray and even Tiffen make some good stuff. There are even price-dependent differences within the same brand, so again, how good is good enough for your purposes?

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote