Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:09 PM   #1

Dear Friends and seniors

I have been using my z612 for the last 1 1/2 months and I feel that I have a need for more zoom power to reach those far away birds which are presently beyond the reach of the lens of the z612.

I did an online research about the various teleconverters available today in the market for my camera and I think that the list below is all that is there to teleconverters for the z612

Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x (available second hand for $100)
Raynox 1.5x (available second hand for $100)
Olympus TCON-17 not available
Olympus TCON-14B (available new for $80)
Nikon TC-E15ED 1.5x not available
Sony VCL-HGD1758 not available
KODAK 1.4x not available

***not available in India***

While it a matter of common sense that I should be going for the kodak 1.4x teleconverter (which matches the optics of my camera) and should give the best results , however I am very confused about making this purchase.

The primary reason being my location (India) where it is very difficult to obtain teleconverters for non -SLR cameras . Second reason being my budget ( max $ 100) ; and third reason being my requirement for maximum zoom .

I have several queries to ask of you .

1] Are there any other teleconverters that should be there on my list ?

2] If given a choice between a Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x and a Raynox 1.5x which one should I go for that will give me best results with my z612 ?

3] If given a choice between a Raynox ( 2.2x or 1.5x) and an Olympus TCON-17 which one should I go for ?

4] What is the difference, between the Olympus TCON-17 and Olympus TCON-14B and which one is better for the z612 ?

5] How is the performance of the z612 with these teleconverters ?

6] Can I stack two teleconverters together (for eg : the raynox 2.2x with the olympus 1.7x ) and what combinations of stacked teleconverters with a z612 give the best results ? Does anyone have example shots taken with such combos ?

7] Where in the United States or in any other country can I buy good second hand teleconverters for my camera ?

8] Although I don't think that I should be mentioning it here, but nevertheless, does anyone have a good teleconverter for sale for my camera ???

9] Has someone tried using the z612 or a similar high zoom camera for digiscoping with a spotting scope ; or afocal photpgraphy with a telescope and what are the results ?

I guess, that includes everything that confuses me at the moment.

I would like to have your expert opinion to my queries.

With warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 3:02 PM   #2

I did a quick search in the Steve's Kodak forum and couldn't find anyone that had used the Raynox tele auxilary lens although they are mention favorably in other forums. In the Kodak forum the two tele aux lens that people actually use are the Kodak 1.4 and the Olympus 1.7. The 1.4 yields 588mm equiv. and 1.7 yields 714mm equiv.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote