Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:22 AM   #1

I've been doing some research about good quality teleconverters for my S6000fd/S6500fd and according to my budget I came out with these 3 options below but I haven't yet decided which one to buy so I was wondering if you can share your inputs about these Tcons and help me out to take a decision.
Maybe you own one of these Tcons (maybe you have some useful info) and perhaps you're using it/them with a S6000fd.
I'd love to hear your experience!

In order of my preferences
1. Olympus Tcon-14b 1.45x
2. Raynox DCR-1540 1.54x
3. Sony VCL-DH1758 1.7x

I'm open to another option as well.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:18 AM   #2

Here is a link to a page which has comparisons of various TCONs: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-30/index.html.

I'd suggest a Olympus 1.7 TCON as a good price/performance alternative if it is available in your market.

You might also send a pm to trojansoc and see what he uses as I know he uses a TCON on his S6000fd.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:10 AM   #3

Add-on lenses do not work equally well on different cameras. Unless you know, someone using your configuration does not buy it.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:18 PM   #4

Stick with Fuji telecovertor lense for the Fuji camera.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:37 AM   #5

Dave, I would generally agree with your advice to stick with the camera manufacturer's lens (should be a better match optically), but Fuji doesn't market a TC for the s6000fd (unless they have come out with one recently), and doesn't recommend use of one. Speculation in this forum and others on this site is that the company was concerned about the effects of weight on the manual zoom mechanism, most of the parts of which are plastic.

I have addressed the issue by purchase of a lens support bracket which I attach to either a tripod or monopod and support the front end of the lens, taking the weight off the zoom mechanism. I only occasionally shoot freehand and have to be very careful to support the lens with my left hand. Part of my problem (although I love the lens) is that the Sony VCL-HGD1758 is a monster of a lens, weighing in well over a pound. That's a lot of weight to have swinging off an extended plastic tube.

Sony has several variants of this lens and all of the others are much lighter. I don't know how much of the weight saved is by using a plastic case vs. differences in the glass.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote