Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:26 AM   #1

I really hate to ask this question because it seems to have been answered on this board or elsewhere... but the more I read, the more confused I get...

I have a Sony Camcorder (Handycam) MDL: DCR-TRV-280 (low end, I know) with a 20x optical zoom lens 35mm /37mm threads. I own a tiffen 2x telephoto lens (37mm threads) and the image is way too soft and I can't seem to get the image to focus... it's worthless.

I bought a tokina 2x (37mm thread) and this is better andmuch sharper(surprisingly to me), but I doubt it's true 2x and the image could be better.

I bought a Kenko 5x and although a decent image in good light, you must be way zoomed in to avoid the black outline, bad light is out of the question, i.e. the sky.

So, based on my Camcorder and considering image quality as key, can someone offer an opinion on a few models I can research? Hi end, low end, middle of the road options would be great.

Mostly filming birds (when my father uses it, the trees that he views are about 75-100 YARDS away... 225-300 feet)... but when I use it, it mostly for viewing the sky during weather events, so being able to have as wide field of view is key and renders the kenko 5x worthless for me in this scenario (unless I spot a UFO). The 2x doesn't quite get it done.

So I'm looking for a true 3x lens adapter for my camcorder with very little cash to waste, so I want to make sure the 3xlens is something i'm going to be happy with.

Any questions that would help you to answer I'd be happy to answer. Obviously a lens that works good in low light would be a bonus, but over image quality is what I'm looking for in general sunlight. (light backgrounds at times)

thank you so much!

UPDATE: I purchased the kenko 3x KUT-300HI but have not yet received it. I read some pretty good reviews, but lately i've read about a blurry image under the best conditions with this (like I've had with my tiffen). I guess i'll find out in a few days when I receive it.

Any sheds of light to my worries or questions would be greatly welcomed!

seany90private is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links