Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 30, 2008, 10:40 AM   #1

I need a good wide angle lens for my Canon S5. Can someone with some experience please tell me what to get. :?And what is the best adapter?
applemac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2

I would head on over to http://www.lensmateonline.com/

Plenty of sample pics and they sell both the adapters and the raynox x0.66 and x0.77 wide angle converter.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:05 AM   #3
Default You get what you pay for.

My experience over 30 years of purchasing these is that, in terms of quality, you get what you pay for. The cheaper, the lousy it is. Focus demises as you you reach the corners, which is the area that you bought the lens for! Worse yet, purple fringing increases in the corners as well. That can happen on your own lens as well if you examine it carefully.
Only if you purchase an professional lens that is not intended for point and shoot cameras will you not get these deficiencies.
I own a Canon S90, which is sweet camera that allows complete manual control so I shoot like an old Leica, quickly select aperture, speed and asa from the body, not drilling down through menus on the screen.
I purchased a Canon WC-DC10 0.8 wide angle adapter. It cost around $175 with shipping from some online outfit. That is 2/3 the cost of the camera! It is not small, but that is because I use it at the wide angle setting on the camera lens. There is no way to attach it to the camera because the camera does not have any threaded exterior rings, either on the lens, nor body, like a few cameras do that you attach a tube to to extend on past the zoom lens. I had that on an old Olympus. Anyway, I have to hand hold the lens in front of the camera lens and hope it is on axis and my finger(s) aren't in the frame. It is a pain, I will admit, but if I need it I have got it. I shoot architecture exteriors and interiors so it is most helpful. It also saves your butt when you are in a tight spot and your butt is jammed against a wall or other obstacle. My vision is very wide angle, so I needed a quality WA attachment. It may not be the best in the world, but it is very good, perhaps 7.5 on a scale of 10. To get better than that would have quite costly.
stevewall is offline   Reply With Quote