Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:51 PM   #1
Default CrystalVue plus other tele-lenses???

I just got a CrystalVue to use with a second-hand Coolpix 950. It works great, but being greedy for cheap magnification, I wondered if anyone has experience attaching a regular coolpix tele lens on the end of the CrystalVue.
clongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2002, 1:54 PM   #2

I've not used either the Crystal-Vue or the Nikon lenses but the CV has a 37mm end thread (?) and you would be necking down to 28mm and would probably end up with sever vingetting(sp). If you have a 28mm lense (UV, etc) put it over the end and see what the neck-down does for your focal area.

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by Brooks]
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:31 PM   #3

Brooks is right, that's not going to work. Your best bet is either an Olympus B-300 1.7x which has a 55mm ocular thread, or the Olympus TCON-14B 1.45x which has a 63mm ocular thread.

The major problem you will have is getting sufficient light, so the TCON-14B would probably work to your advantage even though you will loose a little focal length. Since the CrystalVue is 8x and the CP950 goes to about 114mm native, you would get 114X8x1.45 or a total of 1322.4 mm with this combination. Either of these two tele adapters are better glass than the CrystalVue so they will not degrade the image to any great degree, but you absolutely will need a tripod or bean-bag support.

Best regards,

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote