Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:13 AM   #1
Default Help needed to identify right lens: sony H7

Hello Fellow Members,

I have one sony H7 digicam for which I am planning to purchase a telephoto lens. Now I wonder if a 300mm lens will fit into it? Sony has 74mm telephoto lens for it, but I doubt about the zoom of this external lens (because it is only 74mm). Does anyone have tried telephoto lens on this particular model?

Also, recently I am noticing that the photographs I am taking are not that clear and sharp. Is it for the settings I am using or for this camera only?

Please help!
Travelaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:58 AM   #2

If you're talking about the VCL-DH1774, the 74mm isn't the focal length; it's the filter diameter.

Your H7 already has a zoom lens. These add-on lenses increase the magnification of whatever you've zoomed the H7's lens to. The H7 has a lens with a focal length that can vary from 5.2mm to 78 mm. By virtue of its smaller image sensor, that gives it an angle of view equivalent to what you would get on a 35mm film camera with a 31mm to 465 mm lens attached. The VCL-DH1774 is actually a 1.7X telephoto lens, which means that it will effectively increase the focal length of the main lens my a factor of 1.7. So with the VCL-DH1774 attached to your H7, your angle of view will have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 53mm to 790mm. That would be like cropping off the outer 40% of an image and blowing up the result to fill the frame.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:05 AM   #3

Nicely explained, TCav! Thanks a lot!
Travelaholic is offline   Reply With Quote