Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:27 PM   #1
Default Lenses for Olympus e-450

Hi everyone, new to the forum and new to DSLR cameras too!

I've just Purchased an Olympus e-450, i've never had or used an SLR before so its all completely new to me, still getting the hang of using one, even though the settings are all jibberish to me!

any i'm now looking to purchase a lense or two for it, it came with one, but it doesn't zoom very far and doesn't appear to do anything else either so overall quite useless!

I would like a good zoom one, so that if i'm taking pictures from a distance, for example of animals in a zoo or something.

and i'd also, if there is such thing, like one to enhance macro usage.

If you could recommend good lenses that will be worth buying then that would be hugely appreciated because i haven't a clue what to look out for!

I bought the camera primarily for macro shots, so any other tips regarding that would be of great help, or i can start a new thread in the appropriate section, but i'd like tips on getting the most out of the camera when shooting in macro

x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:20 PM   #2

There is an Olympus DSLR forum here at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/. The folks there are all experienced Olympus users.

You didn't say which lens you have for your e450 but since you say it zooms I presume it's the 14-42 f/3.5-5.6. Really can't say that it's useless as it's the one on my e620 most of the time for family shots, farmer's market/craft show shots, parades etc. None the less I see the need for telephoto lenses and have more than one in my Oly collection. The tele zoom lens I'd suggest for an e450 would be the 40-150 f/4-5.6. It has good image quality (as does the 14-42), is very compact and quite inexpensive (& mine has even survived a drop test). In 35mm terms it would cover the focal length range from 80mm to 300mm while your current lens covers the 28mm to 84mm range.

You really didn't say what type of subjects or types photos you want to do so these thoughts on lens have to be fairly general. Oly does have another good but inexpensive telephoto zoom, the 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 but I hesitate recommending it to a new photographer with an e450. The issue is the lack of IS on the e450. The 70-300 is difficult to use (hand held) beyond 200mm out to its max of 300mm. This is not unique to this lens but rather characteristic of all long tele lenses (in 35mm terms this would represent 400mm to 600mm) and the lack of IS on the e450 simply make it more difficult to use. There are ways around this, high shutter speeds and/or a tripod if shooting conditions permit either or both. The lens will produce excellent results for a skilled user - look up the user piXelatedEmpire in the Oly forum and you'll see many superb shots of birds made with this lens.

I find the 70-300 does make an excellent quick and dirty macro lens for flowers in garden and along paths but Oly does have two purpose built excellent macro lenses. The first, the 50mm f/2 is considered by many to be the sharpest lens anywhere at any price for 4:3 systems. A less expensive macro option but still an optically superb lens is the 35mm f/3.5. While the 50f/2 lens doubles as superb portrait lens the 35mm lens will actually deliver higher magnification for macro work.

Hope this helps. Do check out the Oly forum.

A. C

Last edited by ac.smith; Dec 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:17 PM   #3

I agree with A.C.. The 40-150 (even better if you can find the Mark I) is probably the best choice for a good Zoom. I will add the 35mm macro to it and it an be used as a good portrait lens.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote