Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Default Suggestion for add-on lens

I am amateur photographer. I have Canon Rebel XT with 18-55 mm lens (58mm diameter). If possible I try to take manual mode photos. I was looking for wide angle lens, but those are really expensive (150+). While surfing on internet, found about add-on lens. I do know that this lens are not at par with real wide angle lens, but my question is which one is at-least better for my Canon ? I hope you guys will help me. Thanks
KPJPGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:15 PM   #2

Raynox, who is one of the better add-on lens manufacturers http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/egindex.htm has only one model that would fit your lens, DCR7900ZD but it's already US$345. The other models they have are too small to fit on your lens. Even if you got a step ring to make them fit you would get clipped corners called vignetting.

Most of the add-on lenses are meant for small lens diameter compact cameras.

Overall for a DSLR the best add-ons aren't that great and the cheap ones are awful.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:31 PM   #3

G'day kpj

As you probably are well aware your current lens, the 18-55mm lens has an 'angle-of-view' coverage of close to 65degrees when the lens is at 18mm

If you use a 'wide-angle lens attachment' of 0.7x [a commonly available size] it will modify the AOV to about 90degrees across the image, giving you an image of similar viewing angle to a 12mm lens for your Canon camera. As you mention, there are a number of accessory lens makers [Canon, Panasonic, Kodak that I am aware of; they're good lenses and they each sell for around $250]

I have tried several 0.7x lens adapters with varying results
I have 2 lenses .... 1 being labelled "Panagor 0,7x wide angle lens" the 2nd being labelled "Kodak 0,7x accessory lens".
The Panagor was picked up at a 2nd-hand camera shop for $35, the Kodak was brand-new but gathering dust - priced at $249 and I got it for $99
I use these attachments on my [various] Panasonic cameras mostly indoors when I need more wide-angle that otherwise available

These test images were taken using the Panny G2 with its 14-42 lens [with a horizontal AOV from 65deg > 24deg] , the equivalent to your canon 18-55mm lens [with AOV from 65deg > 23deg]

Here's some sample images showing the insides of my loungeroom in my small apartment with computer on the table & TV in the right corner

1-the 'normal' image at it wide-angle setting [18mm for dSLR]

2- attaching the Panagor 0,7x, but lens still at [18mm for dSLR]

3- zooming the lens out to get rid of the fish-eye circle, look closely at the roof line and the tv & compare to image 1-

4- attaching the Kodak 0,7x lens attachment gives this...

5- the box for the Kodak lens attachment

Bottom line -
A good quality 0,7x attachment lens will cost almost as much as a proper lens ... I would go looking for a 2nd-hand lens of 12mm - 15mm if possible but whether you will find one is ??

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:45 PM   #4

You may want to look at the Sigma 10-20mm f/4.0-5.6.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:36 PM   #5

Thank you very much TCav , Bob Nichol and Ozzie_Traveller (phil) for detail explanation.
I will hear if anyone has other opinions. This forum is very helpful.
KPJPGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:11 AM   #6

Hi There,

I purchased a Canon Power Shot SX40 HS a couple of months ago and love expermenting with it. I admit I am a shutter freak, just ask my family. I am a novice at best when it comes to the camera.

I had a Canon Power Shot 12 before and the one thing I wanted most was more zoom. I love to photography birds. In marco I shoot flowers, bugs you name it. I had no idea that you could purchase lens to attach to this camera until recently. I purchased Close up lenses from 1+ to 10+, a wide angle marco lens, filter lens and polarized lens. However, I am not sure what to do with them. I've practiced with the Close up lenses but sometimes I can't get the camera to focus no matter what I do. The wide angle marco lens when I use it the photo you can see the "black circle" in the photo around the subject.

Can anyone explain the lenses and setting to use them with, or point me to a website to read???

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
vinda22 is offline   Reply With Quote