Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Zoom lens - Lubricate?

I have recently been shooting in dusty fields (Gymkhana events), and, aside from what it does to my camera, my zooms are collecting dust on the barrel, causing the zoom adjustments to become difficult. What is the best method for cleaning/lubricating the barrel?

Does anyone make a "dust bag" thing to cover the barrel for prevention of dust collecting?
dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:14 AM   #2

Depending on what camera you have it may possible to use a lens adapter and a filter to protect the lenses. For example, for my camera, the Oly c-750, I use the CLA-4 lens adapter with a 55mm UV filter to protect the camera lens.

Dalcio
Dacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:19 AM   #3

Default Not the lens

I am OK with the optics, it is the mechanical barrel/zoom that is fouling. When zoomed in, the barrel is exposed, then when I zoom out, I assume that I am carrying the dust from the exposed barrel into the inside of the barrel...causing issues.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:11 PM   #4

This is on a D100??? A regular 35mm lens??? I'd try some loose plastic food wrap. Unless the lens designers were fools I'd suspect it has some pretty good dust seals.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:09 PM   #5

Default Ah, its acheap lens

I am quite embaressed to say, the lens is a Quantary (Ritz) Tech-10 35mm-135mm. And, yes, I would expect the seals to be sufficient, though I live in the Mojave Desert, where the climate destroys rubbers and seals and such. I am tempted to use a silicon lube on the barrel, but was hoping someone had done something similar.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 6:41 AM   #6

Well to apply a lubricant you'd have to know that it won't attack rubber or plastic. How about blowing it off with compressed air and then adding more dust? Graphite dust.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote