Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:03 PM   #1
Default Olympus C-730 and T-CONs?

For a year now I have been using the C-730 with good results but would like to improve on the 10x zoom. The C-740 and C-750 both accept the T-CON zoom adaptors but all the available info says the 730 doesn't. Had no response from Olympus so can anyone help me with this question? Do the T-CON adaptors fit, and if not, why not? And is there a handy alternative? Thanks.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 7:07 AM   #2
Default Yes, it fits.

Yes, you can use a TCON on the C-730. You will need an adapter tube such as the CLA-4 (55 mm threads for mounting your lens and / or filter on) or other brand of adapter tube and maybe a stepup ring depending on the size of the lens's mounting thread.

In the truely "who cares" category, I also have a C-730. I keep a CLA-4 tube with UV filter on nearly all the time (only comes off for indoor flash photos of the grandchildren!). It's "lens armor". I also have a B-300 (predecessor to the TCON-17) and WCON-07. Both lenses have a 55 mm thread and I can mount them on the UV filter with no problems. I don't get any vignetting at the widest angle with both the UV filter and the WCON. Only word of caution is that if you choose to mount your lens on top of a UV filter, make sure you have a quality UV filter - one that has sufficient thread depth (to hold the TCON on) and is well made (no plastic frame, etc.) You don't want your new lens falling off.

The TCON-17 (if that is what you are considering) is an excellent lens. There are also some very good alternatives. Raynox comes to mind and you can search this area of Steve's forum to see what else is out there. Check Pemaraal Online for some sample pictures of the TCON-17; you can find them at http://www.b-300.com/ I bought both of my lenses from them and found the site to be very responsive to e-mails and competively priced.

Happy shopping!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 9:50 PM   #3

I have a TCON-17 and can recommend it. It's Oly's replacement for the B-300, also an excellent lens. I don't believe you will find a better choice than either of these lenses for what you want. You'll lose a little sharpness with any teleconverter, and there's going to be some CA that shows up a little more, too. However, you won't find a brighter teleconverter on the market! There is almost no light loss with either of these, which is important for allowing you to hand hold the camera at dusk at extreme telephoto. Wishing you well with your new purchase!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote