Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:52 AM   #1

I am kind of new to the digital camera world, but I would like to geta Telephoto add-on lense for my F717. The lense from Sony is around $300, but when I was poking around eBay today, I came across an alternative lense for $50.

I know the Sony lense would be a better choice, but would there be anything wrong with the "generic" lense? I am just taking pictures for my personal hobby, but I still want excellent quality from them. Is this lense just junk? Here is a link to it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give this newbie!
Drano81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 8:07 PM   #2

The thing to rember is that the 717 is an excellent camera. I have owned one and also the 707v. The minute you go out an hang some glass on it based on some cheap advertizing you will regret it. Sure the Sony stuff is costly but keep an eye on e=bay for the quality lens that fits the camera.

Here are a couple of suggestions. Everywhere you will hear that digital zooms are not any good. But the 717 digital zoom worked nearly as well for me as their telephoto for shootinhg small birds and the like. I could put the spot focus on the birds eye ball etc... Try it out. It will preform better than a crop in an editor. I "think" the Sony Telephoto for the 717 is a remake of the 707 lens with 58mm threads anyway.

In my judgement the very first add on lens I would buy for the 717 is the most expensive W/A. The lower price W/A Sony will not zoom, sorry I can not recall the model numbers but just look at the cost and compair them. The expensive one is an exceptional lens and will add to your enjoyment in using a truly outstanding camera. It is also a load to carry around. ...good luck

normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:58 AM   #3

Those things are garbage...usually Crystal Optics. Compare that 2x lens with the Raynox 2.2x lens on this page:

You can click on the lenses for sample photos.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:37 PM   #4

I have a DSC F717 and have the Sony Tele-photo (VCL HGD175.I have been very
Pleased with the results. The pics are sharpe and clear. With the zoom the camera already has it allows for a good range. It also works in the video mode as well.I have seen no drawbacks with intense colors. I took Sunset pics in the Florida keys with great results. I also have the Macro but haven't experimented much with it.

Below are a couple of other links:

Good luck with your choices! I hope this helps. Enjoy your camera!

Trique Daddi

Sony Dsc F717
Attached Images
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote