Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:11 AM   #1

Hello all...

Im no pro and nor do i shoot professional shots. I own a F707 and want to buy a Telephoto lense and a Wide angle lense...

Ebay has a few Digital Optics lenses... the 0.45x Superwide angle lense with macro..

And the 2x Telephoto lense...

They are at what seems to be a fair price...however will these lenses do a good job for me or are they trash?

Also dod these lenses just screw on or do i have to buy other hardware?

I know there are better lenses (raynox) but these lenses are convient to buy.

please let me know

dsulvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:29 PM   #2

AVOID THEM!!! They are GARBAGE!!! (Don't know how many times that has been said here, people see an inexpensive price, and they want them).

Check out the Raynox lenses:

Not only do they show each lens on the camera, but if you click on the lens it will take you to a page of samples with and without the lens on the camera.

I wrote the above before I saw that you mentioned Raynox in your message...what makes the D.O. lenses convient to buy, because they are CHEAP? You get what you pay for. What's worth more, saving a few bucks, or getting good pictures?

I admit I went with a cheaper lens before (A used Canon), but with my camera it had a defect I had to correct in every picture I took with it (the camera and lens just didn't get along)...I smartened up and bought a Raynox, and have been happy ever since.

I've seen D.O. pictures, and they are just not sharp, have chromatic aberrations...they just take awful pictures when used with good cameras.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:41 PM   #3

THanks....will do as reccommended
dsulvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:27 PM   #4

Tele converters vary widely in quality of build and in optical properties. Over the years I've used and tested a wide variety of tele converters with an equally wide variety of cameras and perhaps can pass along some useful information.

Presently, for the Sony DCS-F707, there are only a few teleconverters which are truly worth considering. By far the most popular among F707 users is the Olympus B-300 1.7x which was discontinued and replaced with the Olympus TCON-17 which is virtually identical in every way. This lens is not overly expensive today compared to what the old B-300 sold for, and has excellent optical properties but lacks threads on the objective for filters, etc. It's quite easy to press fit a step ring which canbe used for this purpose if you need or want to use filters.

The very optimal quality teleconverter is the Olympus TCON-14B 1.45x which is a huge, incredibly high quality optic but limited to 1.45x. Sony makes a couple telecnverters similar to the B300/TCON-17 which have excellent optical characteristics but are more expensive.

Raynox, Kenko, and other teleconverters in the 1.7x - 2.0x range simply are not up to the Sony's most excellent Zeiss designed lens. Do they work? Yes, but distortion and soft images with increased chromatic aberration are the penalty.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote