Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:22 AM   #1
Default Reccommend a Telephoto/Scope for Nikon CP4500

Hi to all..... new t o this forum and digital photography.

I'd like to know from your experience the telephoto or scopes you may own for CP4500. What are the pros/cons of it?

What I've in mind is the Phoenix Scope, at http://www.ckcpower.com/scopes.htm. Anyone has this scope?

CoolYota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:26 PM   #2
Default Phoenix Scope

I don't have this scope, but I'd get some statistics beyond what they posted before I considered purchasing it.

Specifically, I'd find out what the objective diameter is. Read through www.digibird.com to get a better understanding of what is important.

In short, smaller objectives will limit the usable magnification that you can get from a scope. I suspect that you won't get usable magnification that goes much beyond the lower numbers for this scope since the scope appears to have a 30-40mm objective. The smaller objective will also give you slower shutter speeds.

This scope probably also has erecting prisms that will also cut down on the quality of the image.

Look for "Digiscoping on the Cheap" for an overview of my experiences with a $60 14x40 mirror scope.

The last thing I'll point out is that all of the sample images are rather small. Frankly, it is very hard to evaluate the quality of an image when it has been reduced by such a large amount. Most of the images shown are only 360 pixels across. That is about a 6X reduction from the original resolution.

You can see what I mean by looking at the images on my website. I provide full resolution original images of the samples I've posted.

If this scope has something closer to a 50mm objective, then it is more likely that it will produce a decent image. I'd ask if they can make the original - full-sized images available. Either that or see if the scope comes with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I've not heard bad things about CKC, so I think you are at least dealing with a reputable company.
wturber is offline   Reply With Quote