Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:12 AM   #1

Gday everyone... I am needing a little advice on purchasing a wide angle lens for my Olympus C-770 as i am another person who fell for the cheap lenses sold on ebay etc... The vignetting is so bad on a Bower 0.38x wide angle that it is useless to me... I am now trying to make up my mind between the Raynox DCR-6600Pro (.66x) and the Olympus WCON-07 (.7x)... Im leaning towards the Raynox as its: 1) slightly wider viewthan Olympus 2) looks better made (Olympus lens looks plastic) 3) the Raynox seems to suffer from very little, if any, barrel distortion 4) Raynox is a little cheaper than the Olympus... My main concern is i cant try before i buy, as i cant find either of these lenses in stores near me (Australia)... I will have to purchase online and dont want to make the same mistake twice of buying a lens that is not compatible with my cam and definately want no vignetting at the widest view...Any response from people with advice on either of these lenses will be greatly appreciated... Im off to South Americain a monthand want to purchase a good wideangle before i go...

Cheers all... Patto
cpatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:58 PM   #2

My reply from your crosspost:

The biggest issue with wide angles is if you have a filter inbetween there's more chance of vignetting. For instance because I have a 55mm tube and the DCR-6600Pro is a 52mm tube I have a 55-52mm step-down ring and that causes the tinyiest bit of vignetting. Some parts of the lens housing is made out of plastic, but it seems very well built. The most important part though is the optics, and they seem to be of very good quality (personally the lack of barrel distortion speaks for itself).

Since you have a C-770 check out Raynox's C-770 page:

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:26 AM   #3

It is my understanding, that for at least the wide angle converters, having the correct mounting distance in front of the camera lens is critical for edge sharpness. A few mm forwards or backwards can make a definite difference. If you examine the Raynox camera adapter charts for the 6600, you will see that they advise putting a spacer ring between the adapter and auxiliary lens for certain cameras.

Therefore, if maximum image sharpness is an important factor, you should probably get the matching brand lens adapter tube to whichever converter you choose, rather than using a different make with a different thread size, and step rings.

Personally, I am getting the Raynox DCR-6600 for my C-755, mostly due to it's lack of barrel distortion. However, for a teleconverter, I got the TCON-17 rather than the Raynox 1850, because some comparison images I found posted somewhere showed a clearly sharper image and less CA, especially around the edges.
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote