Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 1, 2004, 4:11 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Sony Cybershot P73. I love the camera to death, but i'd like to be able to zoom in more. NOw, my only real experience with photography was a class in high school So i'm not familiar with lenses and such. I couldn't find any articles that really answer my questions either....

My options are a 1.9x telephoto and a 2.6x telephoto. My Camera has a 3x zoom as it is.. If i attached the 2.6x telephoto, would that bring my "total zoom" up to 7.8x? 5.6x? or..?

Also, With the Telephoto lens attached, would i have to remove it to take "unzoomed" images? Can i adjust the "zoom" of the lens between 1x and 2.6x?

If i have the totally wrong idea, and someone would like to recommend me a zoom lens for my camera, feel free *smiles*.

Thanks in advance for any info.
hydrogen_wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:55 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with your camera, but you should be able to attach a telephoto lens if there is an adapter that will fit your camera. That being said, your total zoom would be a simple mathematical product of your zoom and the lens factor.

I would be very cautious that whatever lens I add is from a reputable lensmaker. There are just too many bad lenses out there. It would be much better to get a good 1.9 than a bad 2.6 lens. Just read the forums here to see which ones are recommended.

Generally, you would need to remove a Telephoto lens to take closer shots. Otherwise you would probably have vignetting around the shot.

Good luck with your choices.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:53 PM   #3

A telephoto lens attachment multiplies the image, you get 2.6 x 3 =7.8x

That means that you zoom range instead of being 1x - 3x, is now 2.6x - 7.8x, so it would need to be removed.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4

i have a Fuji s7000. i already have a telephoto lense which is 1.5X . i now need a much more powerful telephoto lense, which one will be compatable to my Fuji s7000, kindly let me know the specification also
ingaduktaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:16 PM   #5

:?I also have the Fuji S7000 but I have a 2X tele.

Am looking for something more powerful.

Would appriciate any help in location a 4X or 6X. I am going to Germany and would love so real close ups.

Annmpa is offline   Reply With Quote