Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:46 AM   #1

My wife and I just bought a Canon Powershot A95. We are going to get the add'l lenses but it appears as though the Canon lenses (2X & wide angle) do not allow for screw on UV/Polarizer Filter over the added lens. It is obvious that the filters will screw onto the adaptor by itself, but how about the added lenses?

In lieu of this versatility I have looked into purchasing the Digital Optics (Sakar??)equip as follows:

- .45X Pro Wide Angle Lens - Silver - w/ Macro (52mm)

- 2X Professional Telephoto Lens Converter - 52MM - Silver

- 52mm Deluxe Filter kit

- LADC52D 52mm Lens Barrel Adapter For Canon Powershot A80/A95

Does anyone know if these lenses/filters are any good?

How about the Crystal Optics Filter sets? Definitely more expensive, but are they worth it?

thanks in advance for the help!
dpaul88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:46 AM   #2

IMHO, I would STONGLY encourage you to look at Lensmateonline.com for your lense needs and The filter Connection (2filter.com) for your filter needs. I bought my stuff several times from them, quality parts at good prices, recieved via USPS in 3-4 days shipped to the Midwest.

The lenses you linked to appear to be 37mm-52mm and have threaded outer rims to accept 52mm filters. The Raynox lenses also have this provision and are very good lenses. I have the DCR-6600 and a close-up for my S1 IS and both work extremely well on the camera.

You will find top of the line service and quality at Lensmate and you'll end up with purchases you won't regret a few weeks from now. I would suggest sending off an email to them and they will provide information you need in a timely manner.
Amateur Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:12 PM   #3

I think the general consensus is that the Digital Optics lenses are junk.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:35 PM   #4

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Do your A95 and yourselfa favor. Don't put any Digital Optics or Crystal Optics or any other Titanium optics in front of your camera lens. They're just going to degrade your lens camera picture quality. Digital Optics and Crystal Optics are actually the same thing. Both of them are made by Sakar company. They are usually sold with lower price compared to other lens, that's how you end up get what you paid for. The point is they're low quality lens (or "junk" like lucky said). I'm not sure how good Canon add-on lenses are, but I expect they should be better than Digital/Crystal Optics. Too bad they cannot accept screw on filters. I wonder why...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Like Amateur Dave said, Raynox is also making high quality lens. The $95 0.66X DCR-6600PRO is one of very good wide angle lens. It has very minimal image distortion but I heard from some people that you can only use the zoom up to 2X with this lens. Otherwise, you'll get soft edges in your picture. The 0.72X style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"DCR-720 allows you to zoom all the way to tele position, but it has much more image distortion. But the price is about half the price of DCR-6600PRO. You can always check these lenses from eBay or raynox.com. Just be careful that some websites sell them more than their regular prices.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
cartiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:40 PM   #5

How about the Tiffen Megaplus lenses from Lensmate? Are they any good? At least compared to the price of an 'A' series camera? (ie: 'A' series are not exactly SLR quality, so no point in going overboard with lenses, right?)
thesearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 11:00 PM   #6

I bought the bower .38x w/a and the Merkury Optics 2x tele, and they work fine and take filters in front too. You are right about the digital optics, I had them first and sent them back. They took filters, but the tele was too blurred at the edges
BionicJcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:35 AM   #7

Please take a look at my A95 information page and you will find the A95 can use all Nikon converter lenses, include a 24mm wide angle (i.e., WC-E24) and a 300mm++ telephoto (i.e., TC-E3ED). All Nikon converter lenses are of the top most quality and would not disappoint you. Moreover, you may also use the FC-E8 fisheye lens and some monoscopes (not online yet).

If you want image quality, don't buy any third party (well, Raynox maybe an exception) wide angle converter lenses with power less than 0.7X. You may experient vignatting, poor corner resolution and significant chromatic aberration along high contrast areas.

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10 and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:29 PM   #8

The Tiffen mega-plus lens are very good. I have a 2x and .56x I use on a Nikon 995 and picture quality is very close to what the nikon lens produces. I am hoping they will produce lens big enough to work on a KM A-200
carrollhale is offline   Reply With Quote