Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:54 AM   #1

Hi everyone; this is my first post. Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!!!

Steve's has been an incredible resource, I have purchased my second camerabased on research throughthe site and the info is invaluable. I just upgraded from aLumixFZ-10 to a Nikon 8800; the $698 price at buydig.com +$100 rebate was too hard to pass up to move up to an 8MP camera.

Do any of you have any impressions/ info about the Nikon 1.7x teleconverter vs. the Raynox 2.2x teleconverter? The Nikon teleconverter is $399, the Raynox is about 1/2 that cost, and with the Raynox you ultimately have about a 770mm lens.

Here are links to both of the products:

I like to shoot a lot of wildlife; bears are my favorite subject. Here is a link to some thumbnails ofphotos I captured last summer with the FZ-10 and the 12x OEM lens only. Most allof these were enlarged to 11x14 and still looked prettygood:

In general, the OEM lens seemed to work pretty well for a lot of larger animals; I have been pretty vexed in my attempts to get some decent photos of birds, etc.

Having the opportunity to spend some time in places that allow one to see some really neat animal activity is something I feel pretty greatful to be able to do; I was hoping some of you folks could help me find the best solution for my application.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer.
frankm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 9:05 AM   #2

I am just going into the digital world after many years doing film. I have heard about an add on to Photoshop, Genuine Fractals, that lets you digitally enlarge the images without loss of resolution. I think they have a trial version.

That may solve your bird problem, without the disadvantage of longer lenses.. :idea:

peternew is offline   Reply With Quote