Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 6, 2005, 6:49 PM   #1

Arriving very soon is a new Olympus C-765 camera, and I'm considering getting a wide-angle lense for it.

This is my first "real" digital camera, my first is sitting on my desk - a Fujifilm Finepix A201 (point-and-shoot type of thing).

Just to make sure this is true, all I'd need to do is screw on the 52mm adapter and then attach the wide-angle lense to that, then select some sort of option in the menus for the camera in order to make it shoot panoramic shots, right? Or is this lense not designed to do what I think it is?

Thanks for any help in advance.

P.S. - the cam is coming from www.buydig.com and the lense there is $100, is there another place that I can get it cheaper?
ArcticFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:01 PM   #2

I think you're gonna love your new C-765. I've had a C-730 for nearly 2 1/2 years and have thoroughly enjoyed using it.

Before you buy a wide angle adapter lens for your C-765, try out the panorama mode first. The pan mode is intended to capture a very wide picture (conceivably up to 360 degrees) without using a wide angle lens. On the Oly C-7xx series, the panorama mode is activated off the menu system (I have it keyed into one of the "hot" buttons surrounding the main menu button). It requires that you use an Olympus brand xD memory card -- you cannot use any other brand xD cards. The Oly brand software, Camedia, will then recognize the pictures as panorama pictures and you can use Camedia to stitch them together. Camedia will only stitch together pictures taken in the panorama mode from your Oly camera. (Call it bad marketing!)

There are other options for creating panorama pictures including most commercially available software (Photoshop Elements (PSE), etc) or AutoStitch, a freebe available on the web (I think.) I used both PSE and Camedia and prefer Camedia; I think it does a nicer job.

You can use a wide angle adapter and still take panorama pictures. You may find however that you get too much distortion (barrel, I think) to get a nice looking panorama picture.

In any event here are a couple of links to some panoramas I've taken. Jacksonville Beach is 5 or 6photos -

The Panama Canal picture is4 pictures, I think -

I do use a wide angle adapter on various occassions - an Oly WCON-07 which has a magnification factor of 0.7. This gets me down to ~28mm (35mm equiv.) It is an excellent lense and I've been very pleased with it. It does require however a 55mm lens adapter (I use the Oly CLA-4.)

Hope you enjoy your new Oly C-765!

Paul in NoVA
Oly C-730 B-300 WCON-07

plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote