Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 16, 2005, 5:16 AM   #1

hey guys

i have been offerd a 55mm to cokin a adapter thingie pretty cheap and i have no real idea waht this will allow me to do. i have a dmc-fz30 panaonic cam with 55mm thread. does cokin a accpet other extra or smethng that wil not adapt to my thread

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:59 AM   #2

The "A" series are square sheets. The converter allows you to place the squares in front of your lens, rotate them, and offset the square more or less. Why would you care? Consider a graduated neutral density filter. There are two things that you want to do: rotate the dark part to the orientation that will best block the brightest light, and move the dark part up or down to be aligned with the actual bright portion of the scene. A typical circular GND will alow you to do the first part, but not the second. The "A" series square is a lot larger than your lens, so you can cover more or less of the lens with the dark portion as well as change the orientation.

For a plain ND filter, or other uniform filters, the added degree of freedom would, of course, buy you nothing.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote