Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1

I'm a novice photographer and I've been looking around on the net at lenses for my S1 IS. I've read how a lot of the Ebay products are low quality so I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for a tele lens. I've seen a number of 2x and 3x lenses but I'm shooting for quality.

I've seen Canon's tele lensbut adding a black lens and tube to a silver casing looks pretty bad IMO. Are there any other solid options out there besides the Canon? Price isn't really a big deal to me but I'm trying to enjoy the S1 before moving on to a digital SLR later on.

Thanks in advance guys.

CheungWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:20 PM   #2

Well if you want a decnt adapter that`s not plastic , fits perfectly,and matches the camera color go to.

As for a good tele lense,,well all the decent lenses i know of that will fit are black,,,the olympus TCON1.7X works really well,,and the price is quite decent...

Message me if you want sample pics with the tcon

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 3:43 PM   #3

The Raynox DCR 2020 PRO should also beinteresting. It addsa bit more zoom and the quality should be in the upper class.

I'm looking for a tele lens as well but don't know how much I would pay for it.
The 2020 is priced around $190-200.

Check it out at Raynox' website.

Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:59 AM   #4

You have to use the Canon TCon that's specific to the S1. I bought another Canon TCon on closeout from the local camera shop, and the pictures were horrible. Never could get a good focus. I wound up returning it and buying the specific TCon for the S1. The pictures with that are great.

I know other cameras can use 3rd party lens, but apparently the S1 can't.

- EDIT -

I stand corrected as the Oly 1.7 works based on others comments. The Canon Tcon I used gave completely unusable images so I had to go with the specified S1 teleconverter. I don't know why it didn't work.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote