Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:54 PM   #1
Default polarizing filters

how important is it to get a circular polarizer over a linear one when shooting with digital cams? I know about the troubles with film cameras, the linear polarizer affects focus and accurate exposure, but I've been able to get some good shots using a linear hoya polarizer and my film slr. Does the same hold true for digital since circular pol tend to be a bit more costly. Will the camer more likely "see" the effect of a circular pol over a linear one or will it remove the linear's effect more?

ps. I will be using the filter attached to a canon g2 via adapter lens. Are filter effects visible thru non slr viewfinders??

ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:42 PM   #2

Either a linear or a circular polarizing filter should work just fine. Circular polarizing filters are only required if they interfere with the operation of you camera. Stick with the linear filter if you already have one. If you don't have an EVF, you won't be able to see the effects of the filter in your optical viewfinder.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 5:04 PM   #3

Circular vs. linear polarizer primarily depends on whether or not a mirror or prism is used in the camera since mirrors and (I think) prisms have a polarizing effect. (That's why a polarizer can help get rid of unwanted reflections.)

One thing to consider is whether or not the polarizer will be used on another camera. Your next camera may require a circular polarizer.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote