Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:21 PM   #1
Default graduating from digital to digital slr

I have been using point and shoot digital cams, til my latest which is a Dimage 7, I am now deciding to buy a Canon which when you buy it is classed as body only...and I need to buy the lenses to go with it.
Everyone has to start somewhere with the learning of what is the best (but not necessarily most expensive), and I dont know squat...but I bet there is a so many people who do.

Could someone tell me an example of what would be a basic set of lenses, that I dont have to take out a mortgage to buy but I can take birds flying...and similiar. I appreciate any help anyone cares to give. :roll:
patriciaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:06 AM   #2

first a few questions:
1) How far away are the birds you like to shoot?
2) Do you have a good tripod?

(all prices from adorama.com, because I like their interface better than B&H)
The cost goes up with the focal length of the lens. If you are shooting birds which are 10-15 feet away (birds on a tree near a feeder) then you could probably do with a Canon 70-200mm f/4L ($579) or the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX APO HSM ($699). The Canon f2.8 is $1,130 without image stabilization and $1,650 with it. Both are very nice, but expensive.

If you shoot pics of birds further away, you might consider the Signa 50-500 f/4-6.3 ($889). You'll need a really good tripod with this one, though. 500mm is really long, especially if you're thinking about a 10D, which will increase that by 1.6x!

You'll probably want something shorter. The 50mm f1.4 prime is cheap and I hear good things about it. I haven't looked at any pictures from it to agree or disagree with what I read.

I've read good things about:

Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM ($1,000 basically)
Tokina 28-70mm F/2.8 AT-X PRO SV ($300) photozone.de likes this.)

I've heard complaints that because of subtle changes in Canon's lens mount (beyond the switch to EOS) can cause Sigma lenses to suddenly not work between two EOS based cameras. I have no experience with this at all. I saw it while researching the 10D (I'm thinking about upgrading from an SLR to a DSLR myself.)

I think you can probably also learn something from this thread on dpreview.com:

If that link doesn't work, go to the Canon SLR forum on dpreview (which will set a cookie on your computer) and then try the link. The person is looking for a good starter lens kit for around $2,500. Lots of money, but the thread still has good advice.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 12:23 PM   #3

I've just upgraded to a Canon D60. Whilst I already had a couple of Canon fit lenses for my film camera, the 1.6 conversion factor of the digitals throws a whole new light on focal lengths! I bought a 28-105 Canon lens for it and I'm very pleased with the quality and the zoom range - I think it will turn out to be the lens I keep on the camera the most. That being said, I'm still looking for a wider lens, as the 28 is not wide enough for some interior shots and landscapes. I'm currently considering either the Sigma 17-35 or the Sigma 15-30, but that last one is a lot more money. Maybe someone else has some other suggestions for a reasonably priced wide angle zoom lens?
GTarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 5:28 PM   #4

I would go for the Sigma 17-35, it has a front filter thread whereas the 15-30 don't and weight almost twice as much! Also this is a super wide angle so don't forget that step up ring otherwise any filter will vignette on that 82mm front... :lol:

BTW there's an affordable 70-200 f2.8 APO as well if you don't want to go with Canon's:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote