Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2003, 4:03 PM   #1
Default 3x lens for S602

I was wondering if this is a good lens to buy.

Obviously i want the most magnifacation, but will i loose lens speed when i am useing a 3x lens? Will i losse clarity and resolution??

THanks In advacne for all feedback!!!!
Adamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2003, 6:56 PM   #2

My opinion is that it's not worth the coke bottle glass they built it with. Kenko does make some decent lenses, that 3x is not one of them. Lots of chromatic aberration and bad fall-off on the edges. Don't waste your money.

If you really "must" have a 3x, there is only one which is worth it's salt for the S602Z. It's the Olympus TCON-300. You "may" find one for around $400 (they were originally $600) but you will need also to fabricate a mount because they don't screw to the camera's filter threads.

The best advice I can give you is to buy a 1.7x Olympus B-300 or the new replacement for it, the TCON-17 which is essentially the same lens. It's an extremely clean lens with excellent optical properties and it's priced right.

Making a good 3x is an expensive proposition. There are only two decent 3x telephoto lenses available. The first is the TC-E3 Nikon, which is only good for Nikon cameras with 28mm filter threads. The other is the Olympus TCON-300 mentioned earlier. The TCON-300, like the TC-E3, is ED glass and of the highest optical quality. I use one with several of my digicams including my S602Z, DSC-707, E10, C2100UZ and E-100RS. I had to engineer a mount for all except the E10 which the lens was made for, but the TCON-300 is an excellent lens. To my knowledge there is no other 3X which is suitable for the S602Z.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote