Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Aerial and Drone Photography

Closed Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Drones will become illegal

I am making a prediction that quadcopters will be outlawed within the next year.
But why, you ask: Because some Islamic terrorist(probably funded by our allies the Saudis) will hang a cell phone and some C5 on one and you and your drone will be grounded. Sound possible? probable? or certain?
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:34 PM   #2

Scenario sounds possible - but - the amount of weight they can lift is pretty small, which limits the damage they can do. The FAA is requiring them to be registered, and it is more likely that they will be required by built in programming, to obey flight restrictions.
I would think it more likely that they will be classed by lifting ability, with more restrictions on the heavier categories.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:10 AM   #3

I doubt it Streets, although I do fear that someone will try to do something like you mention.

The FAA registration is still in the air, last I read. They are supposed to propose something this month, then they expect it to go into effect soon thereafter.

With the higher end stuff, like from DJI, I can see how a simple firmware update could implement the registration requirement. With their newer Phantom 3 and Inspire lines, you can't fly the drone until you "activate" it via DJI's app, which requires you to make an account with them. At this time, no personal info is required, just a username (email address) and password. However, I could see them adding a registration requirement very easily.

Last I heard, the FAA was going to require registration on drones by weight, 250 grams and up. That will be tough, as there are a lot of "toy" quality drones that weigh a 1/2 pound or so, and I can't see how they expect people to register those.

Another article I read indicated that they weren't going to require the drones themselves to be registered, but rather the operators; which I'm assuming would then list the drones they operate?

We are in some very interesting times with drones (among other things).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:06 AM   #4

Billy, there is then the homemade aspect of quadcopters. You may enjoy going to youtube and searching for "weapon firing Quadcopter".
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:09 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
...Because some Islamic terrorist(probably funded by our allies the Saudis).
Please remember that we have an international group of members here from a variety of cultures and backgrounds.

So, it can be easy to make posts that can be offensive to others due to political beliefs. For example, we have members in and/or from Saudi Arabia.

We want this site to be a place for others to share information, without political, religious or cultural differences getting in the way.

So, please keep politics out of the discussions. There are other sites for that purpose.

Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Billy, there is then the homemade aspect of quadcopters. You may enjoy going to youtube and searching for "weapon firing Quadcopter".
I've seen the Glock on the quad video, along with others.

Like we see in various other industries, you're always going to have those who do bad things with a useful tool, where as the majority of users/operators use the same tool lawfully.

I've seen this with cars and street racing, or driving drunk, as well as with firearms when we have a tragic shooting. Many times the tool is blamed, when the real problem lies with the people who are using them for evil or to break the law.

That said, I don't see drones being outlawed anytime soon. Regulated, yes, but not outlawed/banned.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:47 PM   #7

Jim, 14 or 15 of the 9/11 attackers were Saudis. If this forum is going to be politically correct and politically deaf, maybe I just don't belong here. Pull the plug on me if you will but I'm a Veteran of the Korean War and fought to have the pulpit of a free citizen of the U.S.A. where we speak the truth.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:00 PM   #8
Administrator

I have opinions on the subject, too (and also served in the military). But, this is not the place for that type of discussion. There are other venues for that type of discussion.

Again, we have an international membership here, with members from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures.

This is a photography forum, not a religious or political forum, and it should be a place for others to share information about photography, without political, religious or cultural differences getting in the way.

If you want to discuss what you think is funding terrorism, please do it some place else.

If you want to discuss photography without the comments that are political or religions in nature, then you're welcome here.

This thread is closed

Closed Thread