Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:09 PM   #1
Default Dachshund and cat

(sorry about the title, I am sure the cat is some breed or another, I am sure it is more than just 'Cat')

Anyway, since my cat hasn't moved since I last took pictures of it ( http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=21152 ) I decided to take some more, this time with my mini-dachshund.

The picture were both taken by a Panasonic DMC-FZ10 at F5.6 (in retrospect it was probably to high Fstop, but since the dog was always moving I wanted a fairly large depth of feild), at 1/60 shutter with the built in flash. The lighting around it was very poor, and I had to brighten it up in Photoshop (as well as modify the contrast, etc). I also removed the background as it was very distracting (I think it was a tape player). And a tiny bit of modify to remove the evil green eyes on my dog.

Tell me what you think

I personally like the second one better, as the first has my dog's paw cut off. And the second shows the longness of a dachshund.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:16 PM   #2

Yeah, I like the second one better as well. The similar positions of the two animals gives a nice look to the picture.

My criticism.... both pictures could really benefit from some post-processing. They both have a sort of grey "haze" over them that could be fixed by a simple levels adjustment. Or, if you would have lowered the exposure a stop or two you could have avoided the need for post-processing. See how the white part of the cat is burnt out, but the black of the background and dog isn't actually black.

You could also play with cropping in the first picture to make it look like you intended to cut off the paw.
JaroDefer is offline   Reply With Quote