Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:21 PM   #1
Default fading away

Our cat, Gracy, is slowly fading away. We don't know her age, but the Vet calls her an antique. Some where beyond 15 years is the guess. We adopted her about 5 years ago when she needed a home. She's not had a very good life (except with us!) when she was an outdoor cat. The highlight of that time was when she was run over by a cable van, resulting in limited use of her right rear leg.

She had a stroke a few years back, but recovered from that. She went on stints of not eating last year, which was solved by using a prescription food that is amazingly high protein (among other things.) This has stabilized her weight at around 4 1/2 pounds (way down from the 6+ she was.) Unfortunately, she's started to eat less again and it's clear she's fading away. She still wants lap time but she doesn't come out and wander as much. I couldn't find her last night and but she turned up. She has been sleeping inside a cardboard box (a bad sign in its self) but she wasn't there.

I couldn't find her again today and then out of the corner of my eye I saw her turn her head.

We had a flood in our basement and so had to bring everything up into the living room. She was hiding among the stuff.

Sigh. At least she isn't in pain... but it's going to be a tough choice when we finally have to decide if it's better to keep her living or not.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links