Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:07 AM   #1

Big Ben in London, waiting for your comments!

jp80

http://www.metlive.szm.com/nature.htm
Attached Images

jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:13 AM   #2

Sorry jp does not do anything for me, I would have cloned out the blue at the top left, and the sign at the bottom, also put a new sky in to match.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:47 AM   #3

Thank you for your comment Alex, comments like yours can only be useful!

jp80
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:50 AM   #4

I don't care for it much either. But I'm not sure you could do much different from that spot.

It appears as though there is no sunlight on the subject--the sun must be coming from the other side. In that spot, obviously a fill flash isn't going to do much good with such a large far off subject. You are already blowing out the sky, but the main subject is still a bit underexposed. You are going to have that problem though, particularly shooting towards the light and with a point and shoot. But it also appears you ae taking the picture from under that overhang, which might make things a bit worse.

Even so I think it could be a bit sharper. It looks like the focus point was maybe too close, the bottom of the tower looks more in focus than the top. I would probably want to set focus on the clock face.

Best bet though is probably to go where the light is, and maybe take it from the other side of the tower.

But I also noticed you do have some better examples on your website, where you did just that!

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:25 AM   #5

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
I don't care for it much either. But I'm not sure you could do much different from that spot.

It appears as though there is no sunlight on the subject--the sun must be coming from the other side. In that spot, obviously a fill flash isn't going to do much good with such a large far off subject. You are already blowing out the sky, but the main subject is still a bit underexposed. You are going to have that problem though, particularly shooting towards the light and with a point and shoot. But it also appears you ae taking the picture from under that overhang, which might make things a bit worse.

Even so I think it could be a bit sharper. It looks like the focus point was maybe too close, the bottom of the tower looks more in focus than the top. I would probably want to set focus on the clock face.

Best bet though is probably to go where the light is, and maybe take it from the other side of the tower.

But I also noticed you do have some better examples on your website, where you did just that!
Quote:
I appreciate your in-depth comment kenbalbari. I will keep your ideas in mind! And thank youfor visiting my webpage! jp80
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:57 PM   #6

Personally I was immediatley impressed by the inclusion of those. I think they give an interesting take on a subject where it's very hard to do anything new with shots from the ground.

alex james wrote:
Quote:
Sorry jp does not do anything for me, I would have cloned out the blue at the top left, and the sign at the bottom.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:37 PM   #7

As a matter of fact, Big Ben along with the Houses of Parliament are great edifices which are worthy of praise.Agreeing with the critics above, I'll drop a quick editso as not to have to repeat what already toldbut still be ablegive a sign ofmy interest
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:14 PM   #8

When I was taking a picture of Big Ben I was mainly interested in the composition. You know, there were hundreds of people on the street and ................. ))

... and this is the result, that was the moment, that was me in London at 11:00 am ))

jp80
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:52 AM   #9

Here's one of the Natural History museum in London taken last week although having to reduce it to 240k kind of dampens the original effect.
Attached Images

scooter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:41 AM   #10

Maybe when you come back to london you can try a night shot of Big Ben
Attached Images

lello is offline   Reply With Quote