Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:00 AM   #1

Kind of new around here. I heard about this place from buzzsaw.

Thought I'd put a few shots up from the twin cities.

Stone Arch Bridge

Not sure if this is the 1st ave bridge, or if it's called the Hennepin ave bridge

State Capital

Cathedral in Saint Paul

Downtown Saint Paul during the 4th of July/Taste of Minnesota days
Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:40 PM   #2

hi fitter, nice photos!. i am really new to photography and like architecture a great deal, i have managed to get hold of a cheap fuji s1 pro as my first digital camera with a 35 to 70mm and a 70 to 300 af lenses, would something like this be ok to start taking photos like the ones you have posted here?. also what camera, lens and settings did you use for these shots and did you use a tripod and self timer or remote firing and what exposure and shutter speed was used. thanks (i need lots of input!!!.)
nelly3164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:44 PM   #3

nelly3164 wrote:
Quote:
hi fitter, nice photos!. i am really new to photography and like architecture a great deal, i have managed to get hold of a cheap fuji s1 pro as my first digital camera with a 35 to 70mm and a 70 to 300 af lenses, would something like this be ok to start taking photos like the ones you have posted here?. also what camera, lens and settings did you use for these shots and did you use a tripod and self timer or remote firing and what exposure and shutter speed was used. thanks (i need lots of input!!!.)
Hi nelly.

Most of the pictures here were taken with a lens that is 18mm on the wide side.
I have 3 lens that go that wide, so I'm not real sure (without checking each pic) to see what lens took what.

These shots were taken with either a Canon XT or XTi. The Canons have the crop factor of 1.6 times so the 18mm lens comes out to about 28mm. I'm not sure if your Fuji has a crop factor or not.

The shot with the fireworks was around 50mm, with a shutter speed of 8 seconds. The others were taken in aperture priority, and then just letting the camera meter the scene. I normally don't use mirror lockup, or the self timer because I use a fairly stout tripod, and with long exposures, I don't think you really need to.

For me a long exposure is more than 3 or 4 seconds. Even if the camera shakes for 1/10 of a second when I press the shutter, at 4 seconds, I got 39/40th's of no shake picture taking. I'm not saying this is a good way for everyone to do these kinds of shots, but it works for me.

If you like the "Stars" around the lights like in the 3rd shot, use the smallest aperture setting you can. (small aperture = Large aperture number) like f29, or f36, whatever your lens will allow you to stop it down to. The blades in the lens that set the aperture, gives it this star effect. The better (more expensive) the lens, the more blades, the better the effect.

Now if you stop the lens down to f29, this will increase the amount of time that it will take to capture the shot.

One more thing, set the ISO to the lowest value you can. (64, 100, whatever your camera has) This should give you the lowest amount of noise in your shot.

Hopefully this will help you out some for taking night shots of Non-Moving objects. If anything is moving in the frame, it will end up blurry, or kind of a ghost image.

Thats it for now.

Here is some of that movement thing going on.

Aperture, f8, Shutter, 5 seconds, ISO,200
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:18 PM   #4

ok thanks fitter, i will keep that info and try and learn as i go and by experimenting.
nelly3164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:06 PM   #5

Nice shots! I don't remember seeing the ones of the State Capitol or the fireworks, they are great! Keep posting your work bud.

Mike
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:15 AM   #6

Fitter, these areappreciable night shots, indeedThe 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th ones appeal to me especiallyAh, theinstructional 7th does not go unnoticed btw!Still I'd suggest an easy clonning out the wires on the second one, some moderate USM (%25-30)on the mainbuilding of of the edifice excluding the cupola which already triumphs over the image with a great look plus turning down the lights a little bit in the 4th one, and finally some 1/6 cropping offfrom the left handside of the sixth one, which does not really addto thetheme, IMO. Anyway, well done once again!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:48 PM   #7

Thanks for looking and commenting folks.