Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:39 PM   #1

Valley Forge is not the site of a great battle, but has long been recognized as the site of a great victory - the victory of the human spirit. The Continental Army under George Washington spent the winter of 1777-78 here. This is General Varnum's headquarters.

Attached Images

MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:40 PM   #2

This is a re-creation of a soldier's hut - built around 1910.
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:41 PM   #3

These are the Pennsylvania columns - also built around 1908-10
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4

And last, the Memorial Arch, also completed around 1914, designed by Paul Phillipe Cret. Took this early Spring '06. Hope you enjoy!
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:01 AM   #5

I bet that's agreat place to wander History and nature make a contemplative as well asan eye pleasing sight. Ah, they all walked in this beautiful place more than two centuries ago but maybe with different motives, didn't they? As this is your first post to the architectural photos, I'll make my first criticism for you ( which might also apply to me!) Please forgive me if I ask you not to letyour love of naturedistract your devotion fromthe edifice
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:50 AM   #6

Hello, Ms. Puck:

I so much enjoyed seeing Valley Forge again! It was a walk for me not only through history but down memory lane. I visited this site many times as a child - it is very special to me for many reasons, not the least of which being it was here I took my first pictures on my very first camera on a visit here with my parents and grandparents. Although they have all passed on now, I still have both the B&W pictures, and the camera.

It is, indeed, a beautiful place. Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7

Oh my, I am so moved by both of your comments.

RiaRia - how wonderful to meet a fellow traveler in the park. I spent many joyful times in the park as a child, and still love it as an adult. I am so glad to have brought back some memories for you. All of my posts on the wildlife site are deer from the park. I am there almost daily and it is my therapist and "medication" of choice!!

Bahadir - It's amazing how well you "know me" from just posts and photos. Yes, nature always trumps everything else, but posting in the architecture forum should clue me in for a different focus. I will try some shots of the cathedral (tiny by cathedral standards) and see if I can shift my priorities!

Any specific suggestions would be wonderful, but I get your drift.

Thanks to both for looking and sharing your thoughts.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Any specific suggestions would be wonderful, but I get your drift.
Thanks foryour credit for me (though this termmostlyrefer tofinancial meaning in our modern times!) Hope you also got my draft fromTemple

The reason I came to the conclusion in my previous reply was your point of view while shooting. In #1, for example, the angle takes the attention to the depth of the groove just sweeping the facade.In #2, the space soldier's hut occupies in the overall image is not fair for an architectural photo IMO In #3, perhaps you were right not wishing to sacrificea wholebeautiful sky for the sake of thecolumns!! #4qualifies best for the Architectural type among these images, IMO, if not the best of themconcerning image quality(considering the pixelaration in the sky,Iguessit's a sharpened crop) . Still, compositionwise I'd prefer the tree branches as foreground items rather than obstructing items for the edifice, though it looks nice here.

Quote:
I will try some shots of the cathedral (tiny by cathedral standards) and see if I can shift my priorities!
Oh, I love cathedrals and looking forward to seeing your captures
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:59 PM   #9

All good suggestions and valid criticisms. In the last one you are correct - I was quite far away from the subject so cropped and it pixilated - of course. It's very hard for me to give up the green and the sky for the ediface. Perhaps I should stick to landscape and forego architecture. But I'll give it another try with the cathedral as soon as time permits.

I've ordered a new camera and hope it comes soon. A holiday present for "mee-self".

And I did not miss your play on words - I haven't heard back from Temple re your "draft". I guess I should go ahead a get a gmail account.

I also continue to laugh at one of your replies to a post of mine, wherein I was very short with the words and you commented about theengaging (my word - can't recall yours) story! :lol:
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Perhaps I should stick to landscape and forego architecture...
Don't think you'll give in !!