Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:51 PM   #1

I took the opportunity to take a few photos from the top of the building I'm working on, but seem (I think) to have some issues with exposure. All shots were either under or overexposed. Can y'all take a look at these and offer any advice? Unfortunately, I only have another week at this location to figure it out. Thanks!

Here are few taken during the day as well. Again, any advice is very much appreciated.

bullitt_601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:12 AM   #2

Images like this that have A LOT of contrast are always tough to expose properly.

Try exposure bracketing. I don't know for a fact that your Rebel has it, but it's a feature of most dSLRs. It will take the same shot multiple times, each with a slightly different exposure.

This way, you don't have to beat your head against the wall trying to get the exposure right; let the camera take the same shot with different exposures.

And, actually, I think the daylight ones are nice. When the subject has harsh shadows, then those harsh shadows can and often should be part of the image.

#5 is tough though. A brightly lit subject in the center of the frame, with significant shadows on both sides. You'll probably never be able to do anything about this situation in the camera; this may alwaysbe a job for Post Processing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:32 AM   #3

Thank you very much for the response and feedback.

I believe my camera does have exposure bracketing, however, I will have to read up on it tonight as I've only had the camera for a week. I think I will play around with the focus points as well. Thursday I will go back up as the weather should be nice and I can spend a significant amount of time up there.

I definitely agree on the 5th daylight photo. I could either keep the color and lose the detail or vice versa. During winter the shadows will be unavoidable, but I wonder if I wait until the sun starts to set if I will have a better result?

I did like the harsh shadows on the 3rd shot because it gives the sense that I am shooting through downtown.

Thanks again for your help.
bullitt_601 is offline   Reply With Quote