Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:57 AM   #1

It is about ten years since I shot this picture with my father's 40 year-old Yaschica. I recently had the surviving! slides scanned and...agh,such a nostalgia!
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2

A 40 year old Yaschica! What a wonderful camera. I have a 36 year old Canon F-1 that I use only for astrophography now. It's still a wonderful camera that I wished I used more.
I love the composition with the 3 colomns on the left counter-balancing the amphi-theater on the right. What a wonderfully captured peice of rich historical architecture.
Excellent Bahadir
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:54 PM   #3

Steve, thanks for your appreciation! The camera I used had no AF or whatsoever. So, I had to spare at least five minute's time for adjusting manual controls only! Yet, I keep it passionately as my old flame! Ah, I remember begging my father to lend it to me formy weekend hikes: )

Astrophography is quite a distinct genre about which I know so little but suffice with admiring!Well, I sometimes ask myself what difference it is which leads some to the depths of the sky while leading others to the depths of the ground, like myself : )
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:08 AM   #4

Thank you for posting this, it's fantastic.

I always like seeing your pictures and the interesting history you provide.

BTW - I did a Google search for Asklepion and I found an interesting site called sacred-destinations. Take a look and see what you think. I'm going to enjoy reading this.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:14 AM   #5
eu

Bahadir,
I love the nature and the colors of color slides, and would prefer the humanity it consists.
I sometimes wonder if scanned photos or color slides are wellcomed to forum, while it writes "Steve's Digicams" on the top of the page. IMO they should be, as those shots have been more adjusted, thought, prepared on.

For about your photo, it has always been hard to frame an ancient theater with a good angle. But liked your composition, gives the idea about the theater while including some architectural elements to balance the monotoneus look of cavea of the theater.
I wish I could see the whole of the tree on top.

Hagar I checked the site you mentioned. I feeled myself very lucky of seeing them all, except a few of them.

emre
eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:29 AM   #6

Nice picture Bahadir

Ancient sites have a great fascination for the tourist and

photographer as well as the archaeologists.

musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:08 AM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Oh, yes, it sure withstands the "tooth of time"

/T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:54 PM   #8

Thanks for the compliments, mates: )

Well, this theaterstands at one end of the sacred road in a site called Asklepionwhich served asthe healthcomplex of the ancient city of Pergamon having founded in the name ofAesculapius, the god of health.

Btw, did you know that books written on papyrus scrolls earlier, werefirst written on parchment and in rectangular book format we know today, first in Pergamon ; )
Quote:
it has always been hard to frame an ancient theater with a good angle
Ah, I feel as if I had spent several lifetimes in and around these edifices :-)

Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:15 PM   #9

Very nice picture, Bahadir. The usual viewpoint for a greek theater seems to be at the top, from the audience's postion. I have never seen one from the actor's point of view before. You avoided the cliche', for a well-composed and nicely exposed shot.

It's hard to do a good scan of slides, without blowing out the highlights. This was very well done. Kodachrome? Ektachrome? Agfa?

Here's one of a somewhat newer theater (ca. 1970) but also taken with a Yashica.

In my case, a 37-year old TL-Electro. Idon'tthink a camera is old, unless it's older than I am, so that one doesn't qualify. The print was made on Agfa Portrega-Rapid, andhad been in the bottom of a drawer all that time, surviving several moves and long years.

Can I do archival, or what?

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:24 AM   #10

hi bahadir, great image, a camera 40 year old you say, wow hope mine lasts that long.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote