Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:03 PM   #1

Some very famous peoplevisited this home, Henry Ford, Thomas Edision, Elwood Haynes just to name a few.

Bob

The Seiberling Mansion construction began in October 1889 and was completed in the Fall of 1891. The house was built for Monroe Seiberling of Akron, Ohio at a cost of $50,000. Seiberling was the founder of the Diamond Plate Glass Company in Kokomo and founder of the Kokomo Strawboard Works. He was also an uncle to Frank Seiberling who founded the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and the Seiberling Tire Company. The architecture of the hole is a mixture of Neo-Jacobean (Queen Anne) and Romanesque Revival styles. It was designed by Arthur Labelle of Marion, Indiana. Interior woodwork consists of: oak, walnut, maple, cherry, mahogany and Indiana tulip poplar. Door Knobs, plates, hinges and window lifts are made of brass in a Moorish design. Because of its historical and architectural significance, the building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of Interior.

Built at the height of the gas boom in Indiana the house was originally heated by natural gas burners in the fireplaces. Light fixtures and furnishings are not original to the home but are from the 1890's era. This was the home to one of the US rubber tire magnates and the beautiful hand carved woodwork throughout the house and the memorabilia contained within made this a very enjoyable visit. It was obvious that in their day, they lived a life of luxury.

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:51 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:11 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hi,

Interesting text and, of course, a very well composed photograph.

You mentioned the Moorish design. This influence - where did it come from?

I´ve been hitchhiking around i North Africa and in Spain; up to Sevilla you can see elements similar to some elements in your picture

Just curious

/T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:45 PM   #3

Thank you Torgny! I will have to do some research on your question, I honestly don't know much about architecture or the builder of this home

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote