Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1

A lovely small white washed mosque on Djerba, an island off the east Tunisian coast. It is one of the few mosques I have entered too (non muslims are generally prohibited from entering mosques).

markgelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:21 PM   #2

An impressivematch of white and blue!!

A little bit more of the architecture to the ground would not hurt, IMO. Btw,I am surprised to hear non muslims are generally prohibited from entering mosques! Ah, maybesth. special to Tunisia...Thanks for sharing !
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:33 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Nice blue and white capture. Is it really that small? (mind set: curiosity) Perhaps it is the angle...

You´re quite a globe-trotter. I´ve been around some myself, you know (nudge, nudge, say no more, say no moore {Eric Idle}) and have always felt welcome in mosques. Perhaps you have had bad luck

(friendly)

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:51 PM   #4

My experience is North Africa to which all the major mosque's say non-muslims can't come in. I have got this from travel guides (I accept these are not infallable) and since my Arabic sucks I have not challenged it! I would say that no North African has come up and said you can't come in here but since I don't have the language skills to converse I have not wished to cause offence! The people in North Africa have been great (for the most part) and I have enjoyed my various breaks there a great deal. I would say that even the great travel writer Colin Thubron enters a mosque and says he feels guilty for it knowing that, strictly speaking, those that do not follow Islam should not enter certain mosques.

My main point is to indicate I am not some bigot suggesting that people can't enter mosques who are not muslims and there are particular circumstances to why I havn't entered them. I know noone here was suggesting otherwise but I thought I should clear it up nontheless!!!

I agree about getting more of the land in the shot, the trouble is it was about 47 degrees and I had walked three miles to get to the mosque!!!!

Tunisia is a great place though!!!

Thanks for all the comments, I am enjoying the forums here a lot!!!

It is very small, Tor, probably intended for around 30 - 40 people to worship in!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:20 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Mark

(mind-set: travel companion)

I know, I once walked around 40 kilometers at the coast east of Tunis, without sandals. It was so hot I almost burned my feet (tip-toeing wasn´t an option (smile)) I also remember how dense the air was the following night. We could almost cut the air with a knife. Hope this reply wasn´t too personal

By the way, did you ever drink the Atlas Orange?

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:42 AM   #6

Not Atlas Orange.... I did drink a few bottles of Bouga (I think that is the spelling) and found out when I got back that George Lucas had named Obi Wan's mount in Star Wars ep. III after the drink!

The most 'fun' we had was searching for a subterranean mosque. We didn't find it. Had to get someone to show us the next day :?