Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Aug 11, 2003, 4:53 PM   #1

Default THE DOUMO IN FIRENZE ITALY!

Comments welcome on this shot from my Italy-gallery on my website!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:20 PM   #2

Well done! It gets my vote.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:10 PM   #3

Klaus......your pictures are fantastic! I have visited your website and I am just amazed at how great these pictures look. I especially like denmark06. I wish you would do a tutorial on how to achieve that cloud effect.....I hope that I am right and that you did touch it up a tad. ops:

I really would like to make the sky look like this on my pictures. The overal colors of the building are fantastic. Is that a church? Plus everything lines up beautifully. I am very new to photography...but I like pictures like yours....it gives me hope.

Now let me ask a real stupid question. I know that you use an expensive camera. I recall somewhere on a post that yours runs at 2500.00 or more. How are your pictures taken? What I mean is....are your pictures taken on a full manual basis or do you use automatic settings and then tweak with software?

All of the pictures I have posted so far are with a Sony DSCS75 which I no longer own. I now own a DSCF717. Is it possible to take pictures as good as yours? How would I achieve them....using auto settings or do I have to go fully auto? Sorry.....I know I have a lot to learn, but If I don't ask.....noone will tell me.

Respectfully,

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 2:25 AM   #4

A great photo. What is in the foreground? A house?
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 2:49 AM   #5

Shallowrunner.

Thanks for asking - I'm always ready to answer questions on my photographing. It's my hobby allthough a certain scheme is sneaking up on me to go pro...(=get paid).

Quote:
wish you would do a tutorial on how to achieve that cloud effect
I might do that sometimes later this year - keep an eye on my website or subscribe if you like.

Quote:
Is that a church?
No, it's simply our queens summerresidence. In Denmark there's public admittance to almost all the royal ground.

Speaking of cameras - most of the shots on my website was shot with Coolpixcamera on 3-5mp. The only reason why I squeezed my wallet to buy that NikonD100, was to get rid of that annoying shutterlag and get some more speed. Now I'm able to take better pics of flying birds, swans a.s.o, which we got a lot of in DK during the winter. For taking landscape and cityscapes - smaller and cheaper camera will do the same job. You don't need more pixels than about 3MP IMO. For PC use though.

Quote:
are your pictures taken on a full manual basis or do you use automatic settings and then tweak with software?
I (almost) NEVER use automatic setting. I always shoot with the A-program (which is the shutterpriority program) and sometimes, depending on the equipment I use, on M - manuel.

The reason why I choose the shutterpriority is because I can control the depth of field, which is so important in photography. At least the way I shoot. I recon it's just a matter of "style", if you get my meaning. Another reason is that some of my lenses are sharper at certain f.stops than other. It just seems easier this way. Of course I use my PC to edit the shots. I always shoot in RAW and
I wont get anywhere without a PC. It the new darkroom as you know.

But there's a use for all the programs on your digicam. I just like the self-control - you can't always rely on your digicam (=the manufacturer).
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 2:54 AM   #6

Soundengineer.

Yes, it's an house in the foreground. There's buildings all over Firenze and they are CLOSE! Not like Norway or DK.

Okay, where do you plan to stay ? Copenhagen ? For studying or what ?
Old Aug 16, 2003, 3:21 AM   #7

Klaus I love it!

The black background with the lighting of the place is just wonderful, wish we had buildings like that around here.

Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:51 AM   #8

Okay...thanks Klaus. That explains a bunch....and gives me a better understanding of how someone who takes great pictures , operates.

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 1:55 AM   #9

I agree
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:58 AM   #10

Quote:
The reason why I choose the shutterpriority is because I can control the depth of field, which is so important in photography. At least the way I shoot. I recon it's just a matter of "style", if you get my meaning. Another reason is that some of my lenses are sharper at certain f.stops than other
Okay Klaus.....I thought I understood....but now I think I am confused. When the camera is set on Shutter priority....isn't the only thing that you can adjust is the shutter speed? I thought that aperature priority controlled the depth of field? Can you explain a bit more for this NEWBY. By the way...thanks for the education...it really helps.

Respectfully,

Shallowrunner