Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:45 PM   #1

I was not quite sure where to put these, but since the Locks are man-made, I figured these images were architectural in scope.

Very early in the morning of 10/16/07, our ship passed thru the Panama Canal on the Atlantic / Caribbean Ocean side into Gatun Lake, which is one of the world's largest man made lakes. It took us about 2 hours to get thru the Gatun Locks.

To get these images, I was crouched down underneath the safety rail at the very front of the bow on the 14th deck. For almost two hours. I was shooting thru about a 2 inch wide space between plexiglass panels. I actually had to crawl thru some people's legs in order to get that far into the nose of the ship. No one would budge an inch to let me stand beside them to shoot.

The Coral Princess was built for Panama Canal passages. In size, she is considerd a PANAMAX vessel being the largest possible - but still having room to fit thru the Locks. We had less than 18 inches on either side of the ship as we passed thru the Locks.

The cost for her to traverse the Locks that day? Over $245,000 in US dollars. That came to approximately $120.00 for every passenger on board.

All images shot with the Oly SP-550-UZ on the "auto" setting.

I hope you enjoy them.

~Tiger

Attached Images

TigerLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:46 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:47 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:49 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:52 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:53 PM   #6

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:55 PM   #7

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:58 PM   #8

This last image, I crawled out from under the nose and hobbled to the back of the ship to shoot. It shows what the sight looked like behind us as we were passing thru the locks.
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:05 PM   #9

Finally, here is the Coral Princess while she was moored in Gatun Lake.

Passengers, (myself and hubby included), disembarked the ship via tender, (those little orange jobbies hanging on her side), to head off for our excursions in the Panama Canal area.
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2007, 6:10 PM   #10

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

TigerLady wrote:
Quote:
I was not quite sure where to put these, but since the Locks are man-made, I figured these images were architectural in scope.

Very early in the morning of 10/16/07, our ship passed thru the Panama Canal on the Atlantic / Caribbean Ocean side into Gatun Lake, which is one of the world's largest man made lakes. It took us about 2 hours to get thru the Gatun Locks.

To get these images, I was crouched down underneath the safety rail at the very front of the bow on the 14th deck. For almost two hours. I was shooting thru about a 2 inch wide space between plexiglass panels. I actually had to crawl thru some people's legs in order to get that far into the nose of the ship. No one would budge an inch to let me stand beside them to shoot.

The Coral Princess was built for Panama Canal passages. In size, she is considerd a PANAMAX vessel being the largest possible - but still having room to fit thru the Locks. We had less than 18 inches on either side of the ship as we passed thru the Locks.

The cost for her to traverse the Locks that day? Over $245,000 in US dollars. That came to approximately $120.00 for every passenger on board.

All images shot with the Oly SP-550-UZ on the "auto" setting.

I hope you enjoy them.

~Tiger
Very exciting pictures, full of life, technology, buildings, people, smart solutions, details. There are many things to discover and come back to

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote