Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:21 AM   #1

This is an old railway station in Anglesey, anyone like topronounce this welsh name. :G
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 1:24 PM   #2

alex james wrote:
Quote:
...anyone like topronounce this welsh name....
Yes, Alex, I would like to, and often do just that to show off. If I turn my head a little towards my shelves as I sit looking at your image on the screen, this is what I see! Hello again!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 1:33 PM   #3

Thanks for looking Alan, yes I show off sometimes too.:G
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:21 PM   #4

No way am I going to try to pronounce that name.:?
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:28 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

alex james wrote:
Quote:
This is an old railway station in Anglesey, anyone like topronounce this welsh name. :G
Five great and inspiring pictures. Makes me feel good. Linguists engaged in the reading process say that when you can read helply you already begin to see words as images, not a series of letters

Might be trivial but I tried to imagine what aspect ratio would be needed to represent the long name. Great fun

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:15 PM   #6

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
....I tried to imagine what aspect ratio would be needed to represent the long name.....
The sticker shown in my reply is 500mm x 35mm, 14.3 : 1 ! (I have a steel tape measure sitting on my desk.)

Your query is close to my heart andprobably those of others in 'Landscape Photos' because of the great difficulty of displaying panoramas adequately, on screen or on paper.On occasions 8 years apart, eachof my children sent me images of that station nameplate when they stayed at an educational centre near to it.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 1:59 AM   #7

Dear Alex, that's been a very pleasurable nostalgia for me as I remember this name being introduced as the longest namein the world from an English student's bookwhen I was atsecondary school or sth:-)

Now this loooong name, for me,alsocommemorates our common past as Welsh isknown to be a branch ofCeltic which was the language of Galatians (aka Gauls)who settled in the hearth of Anatolia in antiquity, known as Galatia, theircapital Ancyrabeing the capital of Turkey today as Ankara !
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:16 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, bahadir that is very interesting something I did not know once again my thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 3:45 AM   #9

Good shots, I'll pass on pronouncing the name, that is one long word
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 4:38 AM   #10

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Good shots, I'll pass on pronouncing the name, that is one long word...
Believe it or not, it's not that difficult, once you know the very consistent rules of Welsh pronunciation. I'm not a Welsh speaker, but I can read and pronounce it confidently, having been brought up from age 4 in S.Wales. In school I learnt lots of vocabulary, (even getting a prize for it!) but sadly, nearly no grammar. Born in Yorkshire, and now living 5 miles from the Welsh Border, I regard myself as a naturalised Welshman.

Knowing that "w" and "y" are vowels helps a lot. As I understand it, the lack of ambiguity isbecause the written language was largely invented all at once by Latin-speaking mediaeval monks, to record the oral history. It didn't evolve in a haphazard fashion like English.