Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:59 PM   #1

Baird Pt. is a small peninsula jutting out into Lake LaSalle on the State University of New York campus at Buffalo (UB). The lake is man made in 1970. The greek columns on Baird Pt. are from the old Federal Reserve Bank Building in Buffalo and is the focal point for an outdoor concert venue built in 1978.Behind and to the right of the columns is the UB Center for the Arts completed in 1993.
Attached Images

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:01 PM   #2

Closer view of the columns. Prior to their assembly and erection in 1978, these columns laid randomly on the University city campus since I can remember. I played on them as a kid in the early to mid 1960's.
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:17 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Baird Pt. is a small peninsula jutting out into Lake LaSalle on the State University of New York campus at Buffalo (UB). The lake is man made in 1970. The greek columns on Baird Pt. are from the old Federal Reserve Bank Building in Buffalo and is the focal point for an outdoor concert venue built in 1978.Behind and to the right of the columns is the UB Center for the Arts completed in 1993.
Very good composition, tastefully restrained colours with contrasting elements. Effective due to the simplicity, Great. We all have a heritage in the "old Greece"

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:17 PM   #4

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Very good composition, tastefully restrained colours with contrasting elements. Effective due to the simplicity, Great. We all have a heritage in the "old Greece"

/T

Thank you for your kind words. As for our hertiage in the "old Greece", I can only dream of going there someday. But it is on my list.

For Christmas my son gave me a book titled "One Thousand Places to See Before You Die". Idon't have too many checked off so far.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:27 AM   #5

Good shots, clean lines composition andcolour palette....................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 3:30 PM   #6

Well, your tastefulcaptures reminded meonething I appreciate about post modern architecture which isthe use ofsuch classical orders at times, however some may findthe resultskitsch!

Btw, my edit, this time will be in terms of art history: 'greek columns' will be a misnomer here given thatthe columns areobviously 'Ionic' which is distinctin their capitals! It took over a century for this columns to appear in Greece after they had been extesively used in the Aegean part of Anatolia where they come from..

Anyway, the fact remains, whereever I see these thesecapitals Ihave a kind of 'feel at home'; )

Thanks for sharing

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:57 PM   #7

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Well, your tastefulcaptures reminded meonething I appreciate about post modern architecture which isthe use ofsuch classical orders at times, however some may findthe resultskitsch!

Btw, my edit, this time will be in terms of art history: 'greek columns' will be a misnomer here given thatthe columns areobviously 'Ionic' which is distinctin their capitals! It took over a century for this columns to appear in Greece after they had been extesively used in the Aegean part of Anatolia where they come from..

Anyway, the fact remains, whereever I see these thesecapitals Ihave a kind of 'feel at home'; )

Thanks for sharing

Bahadır
Thank you my friend Bahadir, and for your edit on the 'Ionic" columns. I'm no student of architecture.

Your region of the 7 Churches is also on my list of places to see, and some day I hope to take you up on your offer to show me around.But this year, my short termmission is to Zambia, so I can check Victoria Falls off my list.

Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:58 AM   #8

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Thank you my friend Bahadir, and for your edit on the 'Ionic" columns. I'm no student of architecture.

Your region of the 7 Churches is also on my list of places to see, and some day I hope to take you up on your offer to show me around.But this year, my short termmission is to Zambia, so I can check Victoria Falls off my list.
Hey, you haven't forgotten my offer, which is great : )

Btw, visiting the 7 churches you can also see the earliest and prominent sites where the Ionic order comes from...oh, as they say; one stone, two birds

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote