Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old May 26, 2008, 4:09 PM   #1

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2008, 4:54 PM   #2

Good scene and exposure although it seems empty to the right side

as my eye wanders and wants to see more......................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 6:42 AM   #3

The appropriate mystic tone is pretty well conveyed in your capture

Btw,I loved the GIMP look here again
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 7:06 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
Great athmospheric picture showing the religious artefacts. Lots of information, even enough for two portrait oriented pictures, side by side. Perfect white balance

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 9:47 PM   #5

Quote:
That's what it is. You can get that from the image data?

Old May 28, 2008, 3:39 AM   #6

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's what it is. You can get that from the image data?

Yea, it is observablein the exif but first in the image itself

The decorative pattern on the wallresembling chess pieces or towers(??)also attracts the attention. There should be some furthersymbolic frescoes there...but it could be difficult to shoot them because of the low light conditions and use of flash might be 'ferbodden!!'ah, forbidden : )
Old May 28, 2008, 4:15 AM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

The Barbarian,

Can't help but coming back to this most fascinating picture. It seems to have worked it's way in more than one ...... The shadow to the right balances the ........ to the left. Do you have more pictures? Can you point in the direction where to get more information on this part of the History of Religions / European colonialism intertwined

High density picture, like a t...... chamber. You could almost cut the air with a knife, machete (?) Much flesh

/T

Could you shortly draw a parallell to the current US foreign policy with it's more than a hundred military "missions" all over the world? Much obliged
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 11:45 PM   #8

First, the lens was a 1.4 Super Takumar. I really like the bokhe it has for out of focus areas, and of course, it's very fast. The baptistry was darker than it appears in the photo.

The Church is arranged so that as you enter, there is a confessional on the left, and the baptistry on the right, before the pews, with the altar at the other end of the sanctuary. The larger missions seem to have that as a standard form. Some of the smaller ones, like Espada, were not like that.

If you look closely between the "chess pieces" you see a faded crucifixion painted on the wall. This would have been plastered and whitewashed when it was new.

In some respects, the Spanish experience in the American Southwest does parallel that of some adventures Americans have had lately.

The local Indians were generally peaceful and happy to have the padres there, because they represented prosperity and protection. It was hard work, in the missions, but no one starved.

And the Apahches coming out of New Mexico were a persistant problem. That was caused by the Spanish who first settled New Mexico, then became so obnoxious that the Indians rose up and killed or drove them all out. But they had learned about horses, which gave them the ability to raid far from their homeland, deep into Texas.

The Lipan Apache were particularly aggressive, and continued to be a problem for the Spanish and then Mexican authorities, until the Commanches learned to ride. They were far better fighters than the Apaches, and were pushing back the Anglos and Spanish, before Colt's six shooter gave the Texans the advantage.

Destabilizing regions does sometimes have unintended consequences. This is the confessional, on the other side of the entrance:

And one of the better preserved frescos in one of the apartments attached to the Church:

Choir loft above the main entrance:

Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:28 AM   #9

Thanx for the additional images and elaboration, Barbarian!

I am especially drawned in by the first one and could not help myself dreaming about an enchantingduet for a violin and a cello looking at the two abandoned chairs there...

Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:33 PM   #10

I could see that. It's that lovely north light coming in the grill on the left. I knew it was a good shot just from the lighting.

My oldest daughter and her friend once did a nice adaptation of Eleanor Rigby, violin and cello. But the acoustics in her room were not as good as they might have been in this church.