Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:32 PM   #1

Caerphilly Castle is one of the great medieval castles of western Europe. Several factors give it this pre-eminence - its immense size (1.2h), making it the largest in Britain after Windsor, its large-scale use of water for defence and the fact that it is the first truly concentric castle in Britain. Of the time of its building in the late 13th century, it was a revolutionary masterpiece of military planning
One of Henry III's most powerful and ambitious barons, Gilbert de Clare, lord of Glamorgan, built this castle. His purpose was to secure the area and prevent lowland south Wales from falling into the hands of the Welsh leader Llywelyn the Last, who controlled most of mid and north Wales. De Clare built other castles on the northern fringes of his territory for the same purpose, such as Castell Coch. He had seized the upland district of Senghenydd, in which Caerphilly lies, from the Welsh in 1266 to act as a buffer against Llywelyn's southward ambitions. Llywelyn realised the threat and tried but failed to prevent the castle from being built; it was begun on 11 April 1268, was attacked by Llywelyn in 1270, and was begun again in 1271. This time it was completed without hindrance. Its message was not lost on Llywelyn, who retreated northwards. Apart from the remodelling of the great hall and other domestic works in 1322-6 for Hugh le Despenser, no more alterations were carried out, making it a very pure example of late 13th-century military architecture
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:31 PM   #2

Another inspiring contribution to Architectural Photos from you, Sir AlexThanks also forproviding the informative narration : )

Ah,the 13th century immense castlestill looksstrong likethe memoriesin my mind aboutthe two of my childhood heroes: Ivanhoe and Black Knight!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:55 AM   #3

Great shot and interesting narrative, have you also done interior shots?

............................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:02 PM   #4

Great shot of the castle Alex i would also like to see some interior shots
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:42 PM   #5

Thank you bahadir, musket, and Hercules, I work in a hospital which is very near to this great castle, and have been lucky enough to have been invited to a few weddings in there, but to be honest there is not a lot to see.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:46 PM   #6

A fine shot, Alex!

My Mum & Dad retired to Trethomas, just outside Caerffili, in the late 1970s, and lived there until they died in 2003 and 2005. I've been visiting the Castle now & again since childhood about 50 years ago. Here's a shot of the castle I took in 2003 from Rudry Mountain, a mile or so away, to show you how its vast grey bulk dominatesthe town. My Dad, a Yorkshireman,sang in Caerffili Male Voice Choir for 50 years, but never learnt to pronounce Welsh properly.

In the Outer Bailey is a collection of siege engines, which are used occasionally to hurl rocks across the lake that forms part of the moat, often to assist historical documentary makers.

Hope you don't mind my barging in, Alex.

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:20 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Alex,

Great picture of the Caerphilly Castle (just learned the name). That's what I call a real castle. Nothing like it here or over seas. The figurines at both sides show the scale. Thanks for the picture and the story behind the castle

Torgny

Strange thing, the physicians I know are all fascinated by history. How come, is it the endless masses of facts, the ambition to see connections over time or something else?

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:58 AM   #8

Not at all Alan, very nice panoramic view. thanks Torgny glad you liked the shot.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:21 AM   #9

alex james wrote:
Quote:
...very nice panoramic view...
Thanks, Alex. Actually it's a crop from one frame that went into several different 10-shot or more panoramas, shot from the top of Rudry Mountain, covering thewhole valley from Caerffili Mountain to Craig-y-Rhacca between Trethomas and Machen. The best versions are over 22,000 pixels wide, and 1500 high, so not suitable for display here!

One version. made using 'Pixmaker Lite', allows the viewer to swing right round and round & up & down in a virual swing seat, and make himself sick if he wants.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote