Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Top of Hoover Dam

Trying to capture just exactly how tall and wide the dam is. Any suggestions for shooting similar pics? Camera was Nikon 5700 with widest angle.

Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:49 AM   #2

Nice shot - but too small to actually study.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:24 AM   #3

Interesting view but, unfortunately, if I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't have a clue. In this case a wider wide-angle lens wouldn't help. You need to find a vantage point where you can convey the grandeur of the subject and yet have it recognizable. In this case, I think it would be from the bottom looking up. I don't know if the area at the base of the dam is accessable to the public but that is where I think you would get your best shot.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 5:08 PM   #4

Wonderful subject !
Maybe rotating the camera, thus still having the dam at the bottom and the mountains on the left and on the right will better convey the sense of huge dimension as you would add more elements of the surrounding environment.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:57 PM   #5

Photo needs recognizable object in the scene so that the scale of the Dam can be appreciated. Normally a shot from below with something like a tree, a car or person in the foreground or elsewere in the scene along with converging lines will convey its huge scale. This doesn't appear possible in this case. Perhaps a shot more from the side instead of straight down. With a person on the drive or walkway looking down would convey the scale.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:33 PM   #6

Default Hoover Dam

Wow....this is a cool view! I agree that it is a tad small, but while I was driving through Hoover Dam....I never got a chance to "really" see any of it. I did notice this part of the dam from far away...and it is massive! I wish I would of looked down at it from the angle you took!!! Really cool!!!

Here is a picture I took, just thought I would share. Hope you like it.

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote