Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
The classic VOLVO PV 544
I had a car very much like that. Mine was a grey-blue in colour.

When I was a university student back around 1970-71 I had a 1962 Volvo PV544S with the B18s engine...twin SU carbs, 4 speed std...Loved that car...handled very well, braked well and the fastest, smoothest shifting transmission I have ever used or shifted. Great clutch action.

I wouldn't mind having another. Back then PV 544's, 122'2, 123's...later 240's were popular in Canada . Probbly the fact that we have a lot of snow and long winters may have contributed to their popularity.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:43 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I had a car very much like that. Mine was a grey-blue in colour.

When I was a university student back around 1970-71 I had a 1962 Volvo PV544S with the B18s engine...twin SU carbs, 4 speed std...Loved that car...handled very well, braked well and the fastest, smoothest shifting transmission I have ever used or shifted. Great clutch action.

I wouldn't mind having another. Back then PV 544's, 122'2, 123's...later 240's were popular in Canada . Probbly the fact that we have a lot of snow and long winters may have contributed to their popularity.

lesmore49,

The B18 engine is a legend. It is said that, with service and care, it could last for 2 000 000 kilometers before it had to be renovated. Certainly a quality car

A link

http://www.pv-klubben.org/index_e.htm

It's predecessor Volvo 444 (same shape) was made 1944-1957. For the first time people could afford buying a car.

It was after the second world war were Sweden had been neutral, while Europe lay in ruins and enormous fortunes were created on the other side of the ocean

You may notice the women in the background, on water skis. It's a typical picture from the late 50ies or early 60ies

Torgny
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
lesmore49,

The B18 engine is a legend. It is said that, with service and care, it could last for 2 000 000 kilometers before it had to be renovated. Certainly a quality car The PV544s was quite a sports sedan type of car. They used to be road raced in North America in sports car classes and also of course they were renowned for their prowess in rallying.
The gas engine with the current record (I think) for the most miles on it, is owned by a man, by the name of Gordon who has a '66 Volvo P1800s (like the TV show- The Saint) which he has had since new. Has about 2.7 million miles on it, lives in NYC, I think.

I found my Volvo PV544s to be quite quick..surprised some with small V8's and the handling, although with a lot of body roll was tremendous...I also liked to slide the rear of the car around corners on deserted country roads, in the winter.

A link

http://www.pv-klubben.org/index_e.htm

It's predecessor Volvo 444 (same shape) was made 1944-1957. For the first time people could afford buying a car.

It was after the second world war were Sweden had been neutral, while Europe lay in ruins and enormous fortunes were created on the other side of the ocean

You may notice the women in the background, on water skis. It's a typical picture from the late 50ies or early 60iesI didn't notice till you pointed out. I used to see lot's of Swedish and Norwegian (descent), women water ski, back in the '60's. I spent about 18 months, in total of summer(s) in the great state of Minnesota. I was a young kid and my family were friends with many American families of Scandinavian descent. Great people.

Torgny
Thanks for the link.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Dec 15, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote