Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:11 PM   #11

BTW vvcarpio - The Auto White Balance in your A350 does wonders in # 4 - 5 and 6. I'm impressed!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:15 PM   #12

I think the book I was wondering about was James Rollins' Map of Bones. Its one of his Sigma Force series.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:39 PM   #13

Beautiful lighting job on number six (#6). The exposure is right on. Ditto what others have said about the other shots. I've been there and you've done a remarkable job.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:59 PM   #14

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Absolutely magnificient photography...the images speak for themselves!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:22 PM   #15

Thank you Walter, Bynx, selvin, and jelpee!

Hards80, I made some edits -- I straightened the verticals on 2 images.

#7.

#8.

Also, you have a very sharp eye. You're right, the window on #2 is tilting very slightly to the left.

#9.

Straigthening is where I find Microsoft Digital Image Suite (MDI) better than PSE. I can set a vertical or horizontal line. In PSE I can only set the horizontal line. (Someone correct me if wrong...) Also in MDIS, I can set it to auto-crop after straightening.

Bynx, churches made for HDR is a nice way of putting it. My eyes, too, have developed a way of looking at the world as if it was an HDR-rendering. When I look at a building in Manhattan, I sometimes even see a purple fringe running along its side that I have to blink my eyes a couple of times to make it go away .

Walter, on my older camera (Minolta Z6) the images are reddish. On another old digicam, bluish. Since I don't notice any shift on my A350, I guess you're right about its good auto white balance.

My other shot of the woman in #6 also has the top of the altar decapitated. I chose to post #6 above instead of #10 below because in #10 the woman's feet are also chopped off. I should have taken another with the altar full then attempted stitching them together. Next time...

#10.

selvin, I set the camera on manual. I initially thought my setting was too dark but I guess it worked -- DPHDR found just the right amount of light in the 3-bracketed shots.

To be honest I took pictures inside St. Patrick's Cathedral twice before but wasn't happy with my shots. I think now I know why. For summer vacation last year, my family went to visit Montreal. When we went to Notre Dame and saw how beautiful it was, all churches since then to me became pale in comparison.

When I saw Bynx's stained glass images in his thread, that was really all I had in mind -- to take one or two pictures of St. Patrick's stained glass windows because I didn't do that the last two times I was there. But when I started looking around (I was pretty much in just one small area of the cathedral from where I took pictures) I saw what Walter termed the "grandeur" of the cathedral.

Thanks to all your comments I now see St. Patrick's beauty on its own. Thanks to Bynx, too, for starting the thread on church windows.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I think the book I was wondering about was James Rollins' Map of Bones. Its one of his Sigma Force series.
Isn't that the one about the Three Kings' bones? I read that, too, and remember the church scene at the end (or near the end I can't remember) but forgot it was St. Patrick.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:38 PM   #17

I added two more:

#12.

Thank you for looking!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:16 AM   #18

Very nice work VV as usual.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:17 AM   #19

Im curious about your post processing VV. Your windows have a different look to them than the ones I shot. I tried to make them look like colored glass lit from behind. I cant put my finger on why your windows look a bit different. Your last shot has incredible detail in it. This you can see by looking into the faces. Everything is there but it looks like an illustration rather than colored glass. The glow is missing. Maybe thats it. All awesome shots.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:53 AM   #20

Thanks, shoturtle and Bynx!

Bynx, I think you're right, it's just missing the glows. I didn't do much pp. I just ran DPHDR and sharpened the whole picture with PSE. I remember there were windows all around and I just picked the ones that looked best to my eyes. I guess time of day might have something to do with it.

I had 2 bracketed sets for each of the 2 images on manual -- one bracketed set with what the AP setting recommended and the second bracketed set I adjusted to be darker. I ended up using just the last bracketed set -- the darker set -- as often happens in my pp. I liked the way you and Walter did your dark scenes (your neighbor's house and Walter's twilight seascapes) and now find them appealing.