Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:05 AM   #21

For the windows I did 5 or 6 shots for each window. Im sure that accounts for being able to keep the glow. I assume you used a tripod. Any problems with that in St. Patrick's? You didnt have to ask permission did you? And if not was there anyone there to give you any problems with your using a tripod? I dont like asking permission to shoot the churches since I feel they are more like public property and cant see why anyone would refuse. So far Ive been lucky and no one has refused. But the one Im working on now took over 3 months to give me permission. Then they cut the time I asked for in half. So now I have to go back. Its back to square one....asking permission again.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:01 AM   #22

a visualy stunning set cant believe ive missed it did you manage to take a full frontal shot of the cathedral? or was there not enough space with your lens ? excellent work
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
For the windows I did 5 or 6 shots for each window. Im sure that accounts for being able to keep the glow. I assume you used a tripod. Any problems with that in St. Patrick's? You didnt have to ask permission did you? And if not was there anyone there to give you any problems with your using a tripod? I dont like asking permission to shoot the churches since I feel they are more like public property and cant see why anyone would refuse. So far Ive been lucky and no one has refused. But the one Im working on now took over 3 months to give me permission. Then they cut the time I asked for in half. So now I have to go back. Its back to square one....asking permission again.
Hi, Bynx. No I did not use a tripod -- I used the church benches' "walls". (I'm not sure what to call them they're basically the arm rests on each end and the backside.) I used a finger as wedge at the bottom of my camera and then held my breath.

There was really no need for permission to take pictures which is great. I think maybe St. Patrick is considered a "tourist attraction" at the same time.

When I first went there last year I asked for permission from one of the guys wearing blue jackets by the door and was given a slight nod. As soon as I looked at the crowd past him though I saw a lot were holding P&S cameras shooting sometimes with flash.

A similar policy is in place at Notre Dame in Montreal. Photography was allowed but only by the entrance. Still, there are many brash photographers who walked up to the nave with DSLRs and took pictures. No one stopped them.

Maybe big cathedrals in tourist destinations have less restrictions compared to smaller ones. Maybe because smaller ones are more a house of prayer just guessing.

What's nice about St. Patrick is behind the altar where the priest conducts his mass, there is actually a small chapel. It's like a chapel within a cathedral. That small area has a "no photography beyond this point sign" and in there I saw people in silent prayer at the benches.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM. Reason: I think "nave" is spelled without a "k".
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
a visualy stunning set cant believe ive missed it did you manage to take a full frontal shot of the cathedral? or was there not enough space with your lens ? excellent work
Thanks, simple!

No, my lens unfortunately isn't wide enough at 18mm. I keep backing up into the statue of Atlas.

#11.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 24, 2010 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Misspelled "statue" (I always type "status"...)
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:52 PM   #25

# 11 and # 12 are equally overwhelming and very nice, vvcarpio.
The light is superb and the frames are wonderful. Details are plentyful and on doesn't get tired of looking, and scrutinising....

Good job!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:15 PM   #26

Most of the time I find my shots good only after someone else says so. So, thanks a lot, Walter! I now look at them, too, and scrutinize.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Missed a letter
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:13 PM   #27

If you google St. Patrick's Cathedral NYC in the photo section you can see just a few years ago how much breathing space around the church there was. Now its dwarfed by the large monolithic blocks surrounding it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:13 PM   #28

I'm told skyscrapers aren't allowed in Washington DC because Capitol, the White House, etc., will be dwarfed. I'm thinking maybe their excuse is security but really they don't want the landscape ruined.

No such thing in NYC. .
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:17 PM   #29

DC is also built on recovered swap land, not the best thing to build tall skyscrapers on. Especially when they were building the empire state. The technologies was not there to did down that deep to hit solid rock. It is easy to hit bedrock in manhattan, is is not that deep.