Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:36 PM   #1

Default Roberson Science Center - Binghamton, NY

Binghamton is by no means a big megalopolis like New York City. But it does have its own science center complete with planetarium, a natural history museum with Neanderthal skeleton (no full scale dinosaur bones), local history exhibits, a science learning center, a carousel (which Binghamton is known for), and several art galleries all rolled into one -- the Roberson Science Center. The price of admission is only $8 -- $6 if you're a student no proof required -- and is very well worth it just for the way the museum is maintained.

And if you're into photography, you'd be in for a treat.

Because the modern building that houses the center is built adjacent to the historic Roberson Mansion built in 1907. The mansion's neo-classical design has been restored to its original appearance and is found everywhere -- on the paneled ceilings, mahogany walls, interior art glass windows, and decorative moldings. According to the museum's leaflet, many original fixtures still remain throughout most of the house.

And if that's not enough, the museum also has an "unofficial" side attraction -- it is haunted. Word has it that local schools no longer conduct field trips there because of the effects the hauntings have had on children. That, and post-processing pictures of antique furnishings, were what made us go there this weekend.

We didn't see any ghosts. But maybe you will. Thank you for looking and happy ghost-hunting! C&C welcome!

#1. Main Hall.

#2. Reception Room.

#3. Mansion's staircase #1. I had difficulty post-processing the window glass art. I'm not too pleased with the result.

#4. Living Room/Library.

#5. Mansion's staircase #2.

#6. Paneled dining room ceiling.

#7. Upstairs sitting room.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:43 PM   #2

Very nice details,
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:36 PM   #3

These are great interior shots! Congratulations.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:11 PM   #4

Beautiful house. Lovely shots. Good job post processing. Did you go HDR route. It looks like it since your exposures are varied and spot on. Id like to spend a couple hours there. Im sure its my monitor but I think I see something in your first shot.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:55 PM   #5

As always, I thoroughly enjoy your tours. Beautifully captured.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Beautiful house. Lovely shots. Good job post processing. Did you go HDR route. It looks like it since your exposures are varied and spot on. Id like to spend a couple hours there. Im sure its my monitor but I think I see something in your first shot.
Cool it is casper.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:20 PM   #7

Thank you, shoturtle, Walter, Bynx, and gjtoth! The house is much more beautiful in real life. I remember only three small areas cordoned off but you can freely walk around in the entire house with no curator or guards eyeing your every move.

I actually

Yes, Bynx, I did HDR on the photos using DPHDR.

I think a small EV range (like my camera's max +/-0.7 auto-bracket) might also have an advantage, at least when using DPHDR (not sure for Photomatix and others). Because the dark and bright tones are not too far apart so more contrast is maintained. A wide range of dark and bright tones on the other hand might be processed by HDR software to balance the whole picture out which would result in less contrast.

I think this because for the Mansion Staircase in #3, I used an auto-bracketed set with a bright setting (f/5@0.6sec, f/5@1/2sec, f/5@1sec) and included an extra shot with a dark setting hoping to get the non-blownout window glass art (f/5@1/20sec). Compared to the other photos, #3 has less contrast.

I may be completely off the mark here -- I need more experimentaion. Walter (or someone) can feely correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Lol on Casper! For about a second my heart skipped a beat when you said you saw something and my eyes quickly darted about looking.

I added some more parts of the museum:

#8. Art gallery.

#9. Miniature train set. I'm not into trains but I believe it can be an obsession to some.

#10. Roberson Science Center with adjacent mansion.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:18 PM   #8

That little train set sure has some details going on there.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:44 AM   #9

#11. This is the only other shot of the train set I took. I wish I had taken closeups. But it was at the last part of the exhibit and by then we were already much too overwhelmed by the museum and can't wait to post-process the shots we took.

Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:07 AM   #10

Your shots have a very unique quality! 100% vvcarpio!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote