Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:37 PM   #1

Default A bridge between two countries.

I'm not sure I dare to post anything in this forum of Architectural Photos - for two reasons.
- I feel that vvcarpio and spy with their great photos (each of them their own styl, of course) 'reign the ground', so to speak, showing intimidating good architectural shots here every day...

- I rarely do something architectural, because I am more of a nature and landscape-man myself. But, being a landscape-photographer sometimes leads to taking pictures that contain architectural elements, like this one here.....

I apologize for the ghosting branches topp-right corner, from movin in the wind, as this is a 5-exposure HDR.

This here shows the old Norwegian Customs-building guarding the border-traffic between Norway and Sweden in the old days, when the only access between the two countries here, was a ferry. The ferry would go across this narrow sound here. The land on the other side is Sweden.

The bridge above is a rather nice pice of architecture IMO. It is buildt of granite and concrete and was finnished in 1946 when the ferry-traffic was stopped, and the customs-office was moved further up the hill, by the bridge.

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM. Reason: Changing the year of 1964 to 1946 - which is right!!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:41 PM   #2

Lovely as always, Walter. Good white on the building and snow.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:07 PM   #3

Default Another picture of the scene:

BTW - I happend to have another picture of this scene her - but taken from the stone-bridge down to this strech of water where you can see both the customs-house (white building on the bottom, right) in Norway, as shown in the first picture - and the old ferry-site on the Swedish side of the fjord (left in the picture here). This picture was taken over a year ago in march 2008 with my P&S FZ-28.

And the picture was taken from the 'balcony' you can see on the 1st picture, just on top of the tallest granite-kolumn on the Swedish side.

Also in the distance you can see the new highway-bridge (2005), replacing this old stone-bridge.
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 22, 2010 at 7:46 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:14 PM   #4

very nice once again walter, I really like the way you frame the first one with the house on the right third of the photo.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:42 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Beautiful composition of an imposing structure. You have captured it from a nice angle. The winter setting is very nice as well. I see a slight blur in the branches of the foreground, probably from the motion of the branches. The rest of the image is crisp and clear--very appropriate for a winterscape.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:31 AM   #6

I like your first one Walter - really nicely framed with the branches on top! The whole composition is really beautiful....

Besides that, I don't know about this bridge connecting Norway and Sweden, so thank you for this information combined with another beautiful photo

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
very nice once again walter, I really like the way you frame the first one with the house on the right third of the photo.
Thank's shoturtle, for your ever so kind comments!
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Beautiful composition of an imposing structure. You have captured it from a nice angle...
Very kind words from you, jelpee - and I thank you for the encouragment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
..The whole composition is really beautiful....
There was really only one place I could stand if I wanted to get both the old house (which has a charm of it's own) and the whole span of the bridge. With my limited choice of lens (kitlens of 14mm-45mm = equals 28mm - 90mm only) I had to position myself right under these irritating branches moving in the slight breeze. I knew I would be in trouble with them moving, as I shot a series of 5-exposures for HDR.

On top of that, the only place I could stand with my tripod, was a very slippery and slightly sloping patch of ice, so I had to embed the spikes on the tripod-feet well into the ground and steady the tripod while shooting...

The things you do for a simple picture...

I tried to limit blur by using the Anti-Ghosting Mask in DP-HDR, but there was too much to 'paint' red - it left some ugly artifacts in the sky.

Thank's for your comments, Markus!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:21 AM   #8

Very nice Walter.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:24 PM   #9

I love the clarity and sharpness of the first pic (and thanks for putting a plug for me ). Thank you also for sharing the piece of information about the customs house moving uphill. I feel I know a place intimately when I learn info that is off-the-beaten-path .
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:56 PM   #10
Super Moderator

the first image is really nice walter. and i must say that is a very impressive bridge!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote